Why do we (humans) kiss?

How did kissing even come about?

There's not really any other species that kisses.

Do you think kissing is kind of odd?

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually, some other animals do kiss!

"Bonobos, for example, make up tons of excuses to swap some spit. They do it to make up after fights, to comfort each other, to develop social bonds, and sometimes for no clear reason at all – just like us.

Today, the most widely accepted theory of kissing is that humans do it because it helps us sniff out a quality mate. When our faces are close together, our pheromones “talk” – exchanging biological information about whether or not two people will make strong offspring. Women, for example, subconsciously prefer the scent of men whose genes for certain immune system proteins are different from their own. This kind of match could yield offspring with stronger immune systems, and better chances for survival."

link

What Guys Said 7

• The simplest answer is that humans kiss because it just feels good. Our lips and tongues are packed with nerve endings, which help intensify all those sensations of awesomeness when we press our mouths to someone else’s. Experiencing such feelings or like being in love doesn’t usually make us think too hard about why we kiss instead, it drives us to find ways to do it more often.

So keep on kissing people ;)

• Hard to say why -- most behaviors are learned or they come from instinct. I am sure it is part of the biological process of mating and procreating. It builds real intimacy. We don't kiss everyone the same way but when we find a mate or potential mate, suddenly that kiss seems different than the rest.

• If you really want to know all about it, read the book "The Science of Kissing"

link

It goes into great detail regarding the biological and sociological roles of kissing in human relationships.

• I don't want to be caught dead with that book XD

• The kissing part

• Well if I still had it I would just reread it and send you all the pertinent information in a message. Unfortunately I bought it as a gift for someone. I do remember that it had something to do with finding someone with a compatible immune system. Kissing actually gives you subconscious chemical clues that tell you and the other person will produce offspring that have strong immune systems.

• Who actually knows who invented kissing?

I, myself, love kissing. It's one of those few things that requires a special partner and bonds you closer to that person. I guess it also represents that physical line of attraction; you only kiss people you are attracted to. You can play games and do things with all your friends; but you can only kiss only special ones. I don't know why I actually get turned on so much by kissing. It's like I close my eyes, and then I get a total woody.

Close your eyes and gently run your fingers on your lips. For me, it feels ridiculous. I never knew my lips were so sensitive. And if you have ever gotten really bored, you might've done the same thing as me.

• there's actually a lot of birds that kiss.

some seals do it too.

i actually watched a whole video about it on YouTube once, but I don't remember what it was called or exactly what was in it besides the bird and seal thing.

• It looked like kissing or was it actually kissing? Were they doing something like passing food or something? Seals huh? Can't imagine it.

• nope, kissing, affectionately.

• Trying to steal food from in between the other persons teeth. =P

• Dogs kinda kiss... they love to get up in your face to show affection if they had the lip control they might kiss you.

What Girls Said 6

• It's so romantic. It's the best, most intimate feeling in the world. I don't question WHY we do it; I just question how I can get more of it!

I've read some interesting theories though. One suggested we kiss to share antibodies.

Don't bonobos also kiss?

• I read somewhere that it came from early human mothers feeding their children, in a similar way to how mother birds feed their babies. According to the article, it became a comforting action and I guess it just evolved over the next tens of thousands of years.

• The idea of kissing is actually really weird but when you actually do it, it feels like the most natural thing.

• it's foreplay, is it not ? it helps bond the couple as well

• Lips are extremely sensitive to the touch which turns people on. I never though kissing was strange, but I do think the way some people kiss is strange... my ex seemed like he was trying to eat my face :0 he was a bad kisser

• Animals kiss :)