Is the idea of "daddy issues" (in regards to girl) over-exaggerated in dating?

Daddy issues = a girl having a subpar relationship with her father (abusive to her, absent, alcoholic or drug addict, witnessed him abuse her mom or other ppl)

------

U hear guys and girls talk a lot about a girl having "daddy issues" and how it impacts their choices in guys, and their behavior about sexuality, dating, relationships, marriage, having children, and how they parent...

...for the negative rather the positive.

Do you think the effects of a girl having a negative father figure is over-exaggerated by people, or do you think a female having a negative father figure (or lack thereof) is truly THAT impactful in her relations with men?

Please vote and reply as detailed as you choose (using examples if you want).

Thanks for answering. 8-)

P.S. Men and their "daddy issues" will be asked on a separate question at a later time.

• Yes, daddy issues are exaggerated
  • No, daddy issues are really that impactful on a female

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone is different, I do think that how a womans father acts and treats women deeply impacts many women, however, it doesn't happen to all of us. My dad has done some pretty dispicable things to our family and I feel that it deeply affected my sister but it hasn't affected me at all. My sister pretty much thinks all men are bastards, whereas I am able to step back and take everyone on their merits...maybe that is why I'm studying to be a psychologist and she isn't lol.

What Girls Said 15

• See my "daddy issues" have never affected my choice of men. However my biological father left when I was two months old, my mom then got married to another man (who is my dad, always will be, he's amazing) and they got divorced not five years later. Seeing that kind of instability in a relationship has really affected the way I see relationships. I'm a very closed off person, I don't take many things seriously at all and a lot of the time I goof off or just slack off when in a relationship. It's very difficult for me to commit and really open up because I know (or at least think I know) that it won't work out. I don't talk about the future, but if I do it's about "when we break up" because, to me, there's no other way it can end.

It has really changed how I see guys and how I see relationships. I've never cheated, never done anything unfaithful, always been fully devoted to my boyfriend but love has only come up once and my first serious relationship (the first of two), was really unhealthy and I didn't know how to be in a proper relationship. I became very clingy and it wasn't love so much as dependence. I couldn't bear to not be with him and all that stuff. It took a long while for me to know how to really be in a proper healthy relationship because I never had an example to follow, I didn't have anyone to watch.

• I think you got the "daddy issues" thing a bit wrong, or I got it wrong but from what I got it's not necessarily that her father was abusive or alcoholic, it's much more that she didn't have good relationship to him in other ways. I've this often from friends, that deep down they know their fathers love them but their fathers never told them or showed. Particulary if you daddy works a lot or has issues with showing his feelings, it easily that the relationship between him and his children(daughters in this case) becomes more distant. Of course it's similiar if he in fact is abusive but that's way less common

And then the idea is that some young women feel their daddy never loved or didn't give them enough attention so they're trying to get it from other men. And I think ya that makes a difference in the choices young women make and to some degree may explain the huge amount of hook ups on college campuses.

However most women get over it, I don't think it has a big impact on them when they are older and getting married/having children

Idk, but that's always what I thought everyone thought about this, never really saw it from a different perspective

• Growing up I rarely got attention from my father and usually when he did it would be negative. A small example would be, when I was a little girl I wanted to snuggle up to my father, wanna know what he said? Get the hell off me. Because of his lack of attention and affection I at the age of 15 got into a bad relationship, at first the guy gave me everything my father didn't and in the end abused me for a year until the relationship ended. I still notice today once in awhile that need but usually I get it under control before history repeats itself.

• It really does. Myself for example; I feel a lot more sexual because I get angry at my parents or whatever and go to a) rebel and b) get different attention, but then at other times I'm offended if a guy wants a lot from me sexually. This is just dating though! I'm a good girlfriend. :) It definitely varies to the extent of the girl's issues. Sometimes she's more needy (either physically or emotionally), and sometimes she's more shy and others she's a freaky sluu. But you know, it varies.Or it could be in a good way! Maybe he was bad to her mother, and she swears to be the perfect girlfriend! lol It could be good or bad. But don't judge a girl because she has issues. Everyone has their sh*t to deal with.

• I picked B. If a girl has daddy issues it could definitely have a very bad impact on her relationships. However, just because the girl had a bad father doesn't necessarily mean she's gonna have daddy issues either. A lot of guys assume that just because a girl was abandoned by her father (as I was) she MUST have daddy issues. But I know that's not the case for me (and other girls too).

• Yeah, they leave an impact...but like others said, everyone's takes them differently...

With me, my dad cheated on my mom because he got tired of her disabilities, then told my sister and I (on fathers day) that he never wanted to see us again...

I'm too scared to be in a relationship because I feel like they would just leave me like my dad did (I have the same disabilities as my mom)

• SIgmond would probably say no. And many people that understand him would have to agree.

• idk, that is one for a psych scholar

• Girls having father issues is very serious. A girl needs her father

• Daddy issues are not always right on although I do think there is a minor impact on a girl growing up.

• I think it impacts them to an extent, but that doesn't mean that they aren't capable of making the right desisions and aren't responsible for their actions. Even if you have issues like that you still know what the right desision is and you can choose to make the right desision or the wrong one, what your father did or didn't do doesn't affect that.

• My friend's father was abusive to her and her mother and then decided he was gay and found a partner and now he only talks to his son. But my friend is with a great guy for her right now. She took her father and found the guy who was the most opposite of him to date. She seems fine.

• I think they do exist but people make these issues into more of a problem than they should be. I am not emotionally close with my dad. He has always been present and married to my mom but he is just difficult and I am not so close to him, I can't open up to him the way many girls can with their dads. He is not abusive or anything like that though

I like older men a lot, because they reach me emotionally in a way I never felt with a guy my age. Maybe it is also a maturity thing because I am a complex person and emotionally mature and an older guy fits that. But my older guy is not old enough to be my dad. Maybe liking older men is a daddy issue, I don't know. But I don't see why people find age gaps so disturbing if he isn't even old enough to be the girl's dad.

• I and a few of my friends do have "daddy issues" the thing is that once you recognize the issue you can put safe guards up to prevent certain behavior... I date older men, but I know that having sex with them at my age will lead to a downward spiral :P Also, I refuse to bring a child in this world. If there is any chance that they will become screwed up like me... I don't want that for anyone.

• I think that not having a positive father figure can have some effects on a girl...but I do think that people are quick to blame "daddy issues" as the culprit. also, just because a girl does have a negative father figure it doesn't mean that she'll make poor choices.

What Guys Said 3

• I would like to say that it's exaggerated but every girl that I've seen that didn't have a prominent male figure in their life actually did turn out to make poor decisions like the ones you've listed. I would have to say that people are quick to jump to the fact that a girl may have "daddy issues" but the effects of not having a dad seem to be a real issue. From my experience, anyway.

• I think it's safe to say that most strippers, p*rn actresses, prostitutes, drug addicts etc have daddy issues.

• Daddy Issues have a huge impact on girls.

I personally love girls with daddy issues.

Cake.