Why as females do we feel we need to put a label on relationships?

Why as females do we feel we need to put a label on relationships? If you and your mate are on the same page that you are together and no one else, what is the purpose of calling someone your "boyfriend" or being called his "girlfriend"?

Most Helpful Guy

• sense of security, its like someone saying, "Thats mine" so girlfriend means to everyone else, don't touch she is mine and vice versa,x

What Guys Said 4

• Women tend to be right-side dominant which has more to do with Literature and language. They know the difference between words and will carefully choose the appropriate one. Thus labeling things is second nature to them.

Guys will use the least amount of words to describe something. We know the meaning behind it even it it wasn't the correct definition of the term used.

• Because as humans, we label everything. Its what distinguishes black from white. You call your boyfriend a boyfriend because that's what he is. It's like calling a cat an animal. It's a title.

• Umm it makes perfect sense your more than a friend if you call someone a boyfriend or if I call my girl a girlfriend because she's more than a friend and certainly not my wife, yet.

• So they feel secure in their future, even if it's make-believe faith playing on instincts.

What Girls Said 3

• I personally think because it makes exclusive commitments clear. It's not always the case, but usually the couples who don't make their relationship clear, aren't very faithful or committed to each other. They cross a lot more lines with other people, cheat, and are less sure about a future between them or where they stand. I'm not saying people with a title don't do this, but it seems to be more common among people who forego the title. From what I've seen, the couples who feel strongly about each other and really want to be committed, WANT to have the title. The whole, "scream I love (blank) from the rooftops" scenario. Those who are unsure do not want the title for obvious reasons.

• Well, I for one, don't.

A lot of people around me don't seem to understand, but then again I'm a take things as they go kind of person. I mean, I'm not against the label of boyfriend of girlfriend, or friends with benefits, or whatever. I just sometimes don't think they're necessary. But sometimes it's nice.

But then, sometimes they can have their advantage. In your question you say ' If you and your mate are on the same page that you are together and no one else' - sometimes, couples don't know this so explicitly, and one of the ways they define it, is by giving themselves the label; and it tells other people the same thing.

• So others know?

• Yeah, but some make a big deal about it...I've never understood that