Why are guys protective in a relationship?

I was having a conversation with someone about why guys are so protective. He shared his opinion, but I want to know from others. I have three older brothers who love to threaten any guy who even looks at me, thus scaring them away. My brothers are famous for threatening to "castrate" guys and fighting people who give me unwanted attention. What makes guys so protective over sisters or female friends, or just women in your family?

Most Helpful Guy

• Anon sums it up, we know what's going on in other guy's minds.

As for WHY we do it, it's been ingrained into our genes through evolution. Men went out and hunted, and women stayed behind to care for the little ones. We've been coded to protect our families. That used to mean protecting them from wild animals and men from other tribes who just took women. As bad as it sounds, women never used to get a choice in who they were to marry, it was up to the father to find another family to marry his daughter into for political/monetary gain. Now, we try to protect you from men who would abuse you, and while women have choice today about who they will be with, we still try to scare off any men who aren't willing to put out the effort of getting through us to be with you.

Protecting our loved ones makes us feel strong and confident. It's something we can't control, and it's something that we are getting less and less opportunities to do. What was once our greatest source of confidence and meaning in life has slowly been chipped away by modern society, so there are more and more guys who are grasping at straws, trying to protect loved ones from perceived danger, real or not.

Sooner or later we'll get the hang of our new way of life, but until then, expect the men in your life to protect you from everything, even though you may not need it.

What Guys Said 4

• Maybe they're psychopaths.

• I think your brothers are being protective because they don't want to see you "grow up" just yet..they probably still see you as a little innocent girl (as their sister), not as a girl/person. Guys who aren't your family are protective becauseeee theyyyy probably like you

• I think the Word "Protective" Is often confused with Controlling and possesive. And I have a younger sister who I love dearly. But I accept that Its her decision who she dates in life and what guys she choose's to hang out with. And its not for me to say. I just hope she stay's safe.

• It is very simple. They have male minds and they realize that if they weren't your brothers, that they would try to stop at nothing to get in your pants. Dear, you are smoking hot, and they know that other men know that as well. They are protective for a reason. Any man that climbs over them to get to you will probably be worth getting involved with. :)

What Girls Said 1

• Appreciate it. My brother doesn't care, and I think that's worse. Your brothers care for your well being, and only want the best for you.. Any guy that survives the wrath from your brothers or is willing to stick around even though they know how your brothers are, is probably a great guy. Thank your brothers.. They're always there to catch you when you fall