How do you feel when you get the silent treatment from your bf/gf?

Happy?angry?guilty? What? It's an immature thing to do but what are the effects?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't like it. Now, it depends if I feel I've done something to feel guilty about, and know what it is, then sure, I feel a little guilty, but it would annoy the heck out of me if I've apologized, tried to make right, and then still get it. Now, if I have no idea, it still annoys me.

But, last girl I dated did it constantly. So, most of the time, I didn't feel guilty; IF I knew what it was that I had supposedly done, it usually wasn't anything that was worth that amount of anger (like I wouldn't wear a ring on my wedding finger after two weeks of dating (we hadn't even discussed being exclusive yet)).

Most of the time (at least so far) I do what I can to ignore it and act like nothing is going on. I'll try to talk to her responsibly, figure out if I'm really in the wrong or if it's her; After too long, though, the girl might just "silence" herself right out of a relationship. I need someone who will treat me with respect and talk to me (in private, later) if she's mad.

I do my best to do the same, and to me, the silent treatment, especially the longer it goes, is a pretty big form of immaturity and disrespect to not only me, but herself AND the relationship.

What Guys Said 13

• It's slightly irritating, but I can handle it. Mainly I just point out "Oh, I see. In a mood, eh?" and obviously she'd deny it, and so I let her stew on it. A while later she'll start talking with "It's just that..." or something similar, and at which point I'd respond with "Ah there it is." to point out that I figured it was coming. I don't get why the games, but whatever. I find the silent treatment is shorter the less attention you call to it. Just point out the stupidity of it all and walk away. It's not worth me getting a headache. Besides. I like the quiet.

• Silent treatment? I'll continue to talk to myself with no expectations of a reply. Life will continue like always and I will still imagine her replying back.

Want pizza?

-silence-

No cheese?

-silence-

Ok. Let's order pizza.

-silence-

I love you

-silence-

They will expect you to get annoyed, but if you live life like always...they will be the ones pissed off and you counterattacked their silent treatment.

And end it with a tight long warming hug.

Happily ever after.

• I lose some respect for her. Not a big deal, but every time she behaves immaturely like this, I lose some more respect.

• If I was mad about something she did towards me, I would tell her I didn't feel like talking about it right now, and I'll talk to her later. I would hope that she would respect that rather than consistently,and constantly picking at me rather than giving me some time to cool off and rethink how to convey the message in a less..vulgar way. Although no one has pissed me off to that point,I still find it necessary to step back and re think things before I start talking about it.

If she did that, I'd focus on doing things with friends or something I enjoyed. I wouldn't care to much as to why she is doing it. If she has a problem she can come to me like an adult and tell me what it is. if not, well, she can resolve it with her gf's or w/e. I don't do drama, I like fixing the problem and moving on. The more direct you are, the better. In short, summarized, to the point, and done. If you want me to do something (rhetorically speaking) then it depends what the issue is.It's a hit or miss.

• I hate it, to me that is the most desrespectful thing to do. This girl that I met we were friendly and somewhat flirty, then out of nowhere she decided to give me the cold shoulder and walk away with some other guy, out of nowhere. I tried to talk to her, but it was a waste. She changed for no reason and I never found why she acted like that. That to me was the most disrespectful thing to do, next to the obvious cheating.

• it makes me feel like I set the bar way too low when I picked her in the first place.

• Annoyed. Passive aggressive kindergarten sh*t. Next thing I know she'll be telling me I have "cooties."

• I hate passive aggressive behavior! She has to communicate with me if something is bothering her.

• I feel nothing.

Silent treatment doesn't impact me. If she got a problem - I'm all ears, but if she's just sulking and telling "Nothing's wrong, I'm OK" - whatever. Maybe it's just PMS.

• i feel like alright what are we 5 years old

• Annoyed.

• I'm inclined to agree with anon down there about not tolerating emotional terrorism. She insulted me and expects me to go back to her, when she hasn't shown any remorse for it, with a silent treatment? No thanks.

• No big deal. She's the one who usually gets the most pissed off, as it is mostly girls who can't stand silence. I don't give into her childish tactics. Whenever a girl gets emotional, I just ignore her and leave the house. I will never tolerate being yelled at by a girl. Emotional terrorism gets the silent treatment from me.

What Girls Said 15

• I've never experienced that with an s/o, but I'd most likely feel guilty or self-conscious, thinking I've done something wrong or that they've lost interest for some reason. I really don't like silent treatments though. I'd rather solve problems as they arise, through compromise or collaboration, and not just brush them aside and let them evolve into larger problems that are more difficult to handle. But if my guy just weren't in the mood to talk for a day or two and not actually giving me a silent treatment, then I could deal with that because I sometimes get in those moods.

• Happy, it gives me time to be single in a way again..I don't have to hear their problems, woes, and misfortunes, so then I can spend that time doing something purely selfish.

But when he comes around I love him more than ever u.u

<3

It's childish to not tell someone why you are angry though...that's why we should communicate a lot earlier on..instead we let things stay in and rot inside.

• It's bad for the first bit, but then I just move on. And sooner or later HE'S the one who is freaking out because I'm not talking to HIM. I am the master of the silent treatment. Muahahahha

• At first, I ask myself "what did I do" repeatedly. Then after a while, it gets me aggravated because this person is just ignoring me, and not even telling me what's wrong! I had a friend that did that to me all the time, and I can't tell you how annoyed I got. It came to a certain point where I just started ignoring her completely.

• One of the most horrible feelings, like a knot is in your stomach.

• I hate it. Its like their playing a game and I don't have time for that. If it happens for a day or two, I get annoyed. But if it happens for like a week? F***that. I have better things to do with my time.

Number one thing in a relationship is communication. And if you cut that out, you can't forget it.

Personal Experience.

• I get PISSED.

How dare you be mad at me? Man up and talk to me about it, or get OVER it.

• it hurts more then ever. sometimes I wouldn't know what was wrong.. and it made me wonder if he were doing something behind my back while giving me the silent treatment.

• I hate it, I rather argue then being ignored

• pisses me offfff for a while then I get sad. then feel remorse for my boyfriend. if its my fault. if its not then idgaf.

• I find it annoying, but I have done it before. I'd rather get whatever it is out and over with but sometimes I do go to silent treatment just so I don't say something I'll regret when I'm mad or upset.

• depressed or guilty. usually I think it's all my fault and that guilty feeling leads to depression. :/

• I feel awful and angry and I don't want to talk to them

• GREAT!

• I do it all the time. But mostly because I'm not really good at saying my mind. And the only way I can show I'm upset is being silent