Why do people always get mad when I tell them about my boyfriend?

They ask, okay? I don't just start spouting off about him without being asked or something and even then I keep the details short.

But they always get mad at me...why?

I mean, yeah, I think my boyfriend is sexy as hell. Does that mean I want them to think so? No. If they do, fine, if not, fine. But why get mad?

My boyfriend is 6'4, has blond hair and blue eyes, and is a very accomplished swimmer, so yeah, he has the swimmer body. He also has an eight pack and is planning on going to the trials for the 2016 Olympics. But what does that matter? I care for who he is as a person, not what he looks like.

I'm sure that came off as petty and self-centered, but I didn't mean it to. My question is this: Why, upon hearing what my boyfriend looks like, do they immediately make judgements about me? I told someone what he looked like (because she asked) and then she looked me square in the eye and goes, "So you must be a real slut then, right? To have gotten that." What the heck?

Or, another common response is thinking I'm a bitch or extremely superficial. What merits this reaction? Am I not allowed to have a boyfriend who happens to be in good shape? My male friends judge me too. They automatically assume he's a tool and I must be an awfully shallow person to be with him.

Why do people think this about those who happen to be with an attractive SO?

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe the way you say it sounds like you're showing off or something.

• Hmm...maybe...but I can't really help it. I don't sound cocky, I just sound "in love" as someone described it. I've heard other girls talk about THEIR boyfriends as if they were God's gift to women, and they never get called whores or sluts.

What Guys Said 5

• Women judge because of jealousy usually. People in general, are going to judge you irrespective to that. If you were born with the body of a model, they're going to tell you, you must be a slut,or you probably do drugs, you're probably rich or spoiled, that you got life easy. It is mostly hatred for something they don't have. Insecurities of who THEY are. With that said, ignore retards.

• LOL damn, the commentor below beat me to it, but yeah JEALOUSY.

• When you descibe how hot he is to other folks, just throw in "but he has severe Downs Syndrome". That should take the edge off the conversation. And if he gets to the 2016 Olympics, tell him he better not embarass us.

• It doesn't matter and if makes you feel better, I don't care. :)

• Thank you! You'd be the first.

• Jealousy.

What Girls Said 1

• Yup, it's pure jealousy. You have the guy the girls fawn over and what the guys wish they could be. Man if I were you when that girl said that to you I wouldve clocked her square in the jaw! Lol. Don't let it get to you. Next time someone asks and then acts all rude like that or starts tLking smack just say " I'm sorry your jealous" that'll shut them up real quick because the truth hurts!

• I'm usually really good with comebacks, but this was a close friend and I wasn't expecting that at all. I was expecting her to be happy or supportive or something. Just not bitter.

• What a crappy friend to say something like that. A good friend of mine just got married and they are extremely in love and he worships her like a goddess and yea sometimes I feel a bit of jealousy because I want that too but I'd never degrade her or say mean things to bring her down. As they say, misery loves company.