Women: how many of you would be turned off if you went on a first date and the guy requested to split the cost?

Instead of him paying 100%.

What would your reaction be?

How would it make you feel?

Would you go on a 2nd date?

Do you feel that you are an independent woman?

Most Helpful Girl

• well, I don't mind paying for things. But, him looking at the bill and then looking at me and saying ""you pay half of it"" sounds a little too weird and formal. It is like me doing something for him and then asking him to do half of it. Just go with the flow. You don't have to ask each other to pay. It happens naturally. That's why I never ask my boyfriend to pay half of it. He pays for it sometimes and I pay for it sometimes. there is no bill war.

So, if a guy ASKS me to pay for it...it is our last date then.

What Girls Said 18

• If I know in advance on the first date, I'm fine but I'd prefer it if he paid since it is the first date (provided he did the asking and picked out what we were doing). I have paid for the first date and I've split it too. I just want to know in advance, not be put on the spot.

Yes, I am independent. I will often ask if he'd like to split the cost. And if he drove there to see me (often end up in long distance relationships), I will definitely pay.

• Cool with me; I'd be planning on splitting the cost anyway.

• It would take me by surprise, but I'd offer to pay half anyways. I would go on a second date, unless there was something else that I didn't like about him. Independent is good, and yes I am one. It's good if you can both take care of yourself, so dating doesn't start to feel somewhat like babysitting.

• i wouldn't be turned off, I would actually be OK with splitting the costs... it also depends on what we are doing like if he doesn't tell me we are going out to eat but then expects me to split I may not have the money to do that and would therefore be pissed, however if he gives me some warning id be OK with it... if that makes sense

• I'm old school so sorry, he should pay first date unless we're like 16 or something. Then after that I'll offer to split costs.

• I wouldn't split it unless we shared. I'm a broke student so it would bug me if we split and I payed for his meal if it was more expensive. Would be better if we just payed for ourselves tbh.

• I am independent but if the guy flat out asked me on the first date I would expect him to pay. That's how I was raised though.

• what if your friends asked you out to dinner? would you expect your friends to pay for you too?

• There is a difference between going out with friends and going out on a date...

• Turn off. If he asked me out, then he should pay.

However, I'm in a long term relationship and when we go out we'll split the cost sometimes. Or I'll pay for the movie and he pays for dinner or whatever. But on the first date at least the guy should pay. Just my opinion.

• i prefer to split the cost!

• I think if he asked me on the date, then the proper thing to do is ME suggest I pay for myself and he say no and pay for the both of us.

I don't see it as very gentleman like

• Oh, it'd be a turn off and this has nothing to do with independence lol I don't mind switching back and forth, he pay the first time and I pay the next. But the guy should pay for the first date.

And if the date didn't go well, it'd just add to my "never again" list

• I have no problem with that.

• I think its fair and it is absolutely OK. Id prefer it too to split the cost.

• I would be ok ^_^ But it make me think why he ask... but i not judge him ^^

• why are you ignoring my questions please :( please answer them so I will not bother

• I wouldn't be turned off because I always plan on splitting anyways. It's fair that way.

• I wouldn't care and would be more than willing, I don't expect men to pay for me. If they want to that's fine but I certainly don't expect or need it, and yes I am a very independent woman. That alone would not affect my decision on if I would like a second date or not.

• i would be turned off to be honest with u, its the first date, first expressions count, he should know how to treat a lady, and show that he cares for me, besides I would offer myself to pay anyways and the next date id offer to take care of it so it can be equal and we can take turns, but on the very first date and he asks me to pay it seems kinda cheap and just makes me nervous what kinda man he is...=S

• I'm independent and doing well, But I'm old school first date he should pay. That's why he's the man , That's never happened to me. But if I was single again and a guy did that, It would be my last date.

• I don't mind it :)

Even if I like the guy, sometimes I even feel uncomfortable letting the guy pay 100%, because I don't know him well enough yet.

What Guys Said 6

• I've always followed the rule that you shouldn't ask someone out (whether you're a girl or a guy) unless you are able to and plan on picking up the tab for everything involved in that date. If you can't afford it or don't plan on paying, you shouldn't be asking someone out. If you do happen to talk about it ahead of time and she agrees to split it, then there's nothing wrong with that.

• if she expected me to pay and didn't offer, it would be the last date. if she did offer, I'd pay 100% of the bill and then make some cute remark like "we'll split the next one" and smile as if to imply that there will be a second. it will make her feel more at ease and accepted

• I was expecting most of the women on here to say they would be appalled and not go out on a second date, but I guess traditions are changing. And many women are expecting to split costs.

• ah see a lot of teens are going dutch and nobody bats an eyelid

• i don't care. I would be turned off if she didn't pay 100%.

• im surprised some would actually never go on a date with that guy again lol