Are you afraid to tell your family and friends that you met that special someone ONLINE?

Are you? Are you bashful about it? Do you feel like people will think of you as a loser that you couldn't find someone the normal way?

I'm going to visit this guy I met online in Maine and my parents are being really questioning. I can't tell them cause I feel weird about it and I'm afraid they would freak out about it and afraid they would think of me as a loser. I can get guys in real life but I really like this guy and he's paying for my trip so I figure why not. But now my mom is mad at me cause she knows I'm lying about who it is I'm going to see.

If you HAVE told people how you met your significant other online, how did they react?
Anyone ever react negatively?

Most Helpful Girl

• I would have been, but then I decided that the vast majority of people could go ahead and think whatever they wanted, they don't matter. As for people close to me, they could be supportive or not. Either way, I knew I was going to do whatever I was going to do, and if I'm going to be like that, I had better be prepared to meet some adversity.

I'd be suspicious of anyone paying my way, but that's just me. I wouldn't ever find dates solely online again. I don't do long distance well, and for that reason, I've all but sworn it off entirely. If it's more than a four hour drive, it's not happening.

What Guys Said 3

• I was hesitant to tell anyone before I met her in person. I wasn't sure if anyone would take it seriously. But then I started telling people and have no problem now. Even told my grandma :D

• No negative comments so far. I think people admire actually that I tried it, succeeded even and have the confidence to talk about it. some even asked to see my online dating profile.

• Well, technology has changed a lot of stuff, and our generation depends on it more and more each day.

Besides if I liked her who cares what they would think, and my family would understand as long as she's sweet and nice :)

• Hahaha It's pretty embarassing I don't know if I could do it.

What Girls Said 3

• Like saelym said, I'd feel awkward about the guy if he paid my way. You should bring a friend with you and meet the guy in a public place. Those are just the basic rules of meeting someone you found online in person.

But to answer your question - Yes. I've met a couple really great guys online who seem pretty sincere. I don't talk to very many people online - I'm very smart, careful, and selective about it, so it's shouldn't be a huge deal. But my sis and mom know I talk to people online, and don't even like that I just talk to people as friends. So if I told them about wanting to actually date a guy, I don't know what would happen. I'm almost 21, so it should be my business how I meet my friends and boyfriends. Meeting people online is so common these days. But until I'm financially independent and/or have my own place, I'm afraid that it'll never be just my business. I don't know what to do about it. Maybe you should add me - we can help each other out. =(

• no I'm not, I tell my mom and grandmom about the people I talk to most online

• Yes because they would be talking smack.