Girls and guys esp. from the US, what is your opinion on this situation?

Recently I went to a restaurant with my boyfriend. There was a pretty woman sitting in front of us, I was sitting next to my boyfriend. I noticed that he made an eye contact with her and they both laughed about something. After dinner I asked him why they were laughing,he explained like there was a funny situation with the people coming. Agree may be it was funny. But anyway I don't think it was a reason to laugh with her. I said that to him, he said it was accepted in America to smile at people even if you don't know them (my boyfriend is American, I am not)and allowed me to smile at every men in the street. Guys and girls, what is your opinion on this situation? Guys, do you ever get jealous?

Most Helpful Girl

• If there is funny situation, he should be sharing it with you. Not with another woman. Yes, I would have a problem with that.

• I think so too:-(. I think only you here have adequate reaction, I so want all his smiles and laugh to be only for me

What Guys Said 6

• I think it depends where in America. On the U.S. West, people are more outgoing. It is not uncommon for complete strangers to address you casually or familiarly. Southern California at times doesn't seem to believe in strangers, but at the same time, there is rules to it, such as positivity and friendliness (never say something deragatory to a stranger); what is said loudly in public is considered public, passerby's will unlikely accomodate someone with a false sense of privacy unless it looks like they are trying to be (and even then not always) -- if you don't want others to know, then keep your voice down or find your own privacy to say it.

In U.S. East, they tend to be a bit more procedural about how they interact., more sincere, but also more easy to offend by unfamiliar directness. They seem to have thing with introductions, or used to at least since I was last there (many years ago...)

• you didn't write about the Bible Belt ;)

• I don't think I have enough knowledge on the subject matter, beyond their possession of weapons, the tendency for children to address adults as "sir" or "ma'am", and a specific manner of speech. Perhaps you can complete what I missed.

• The anonymous user is right. Different cultures, different social expectations. I smile at almost everyone I make eye contact with. As long as you don't see him constantly looking around and checking other girls out or going out of his way to interact with them by anything more than a smile, I wouldn't worry. Tell him how it's hard for you to understand because of the culture you're used to, but try not to see it as him trying to flirt.

• I think it's normal so just let it go. Plus, just because he smiled at another woman doesn't mean he'll jump her. Chill out, people are allowed to share life moments with people OTHER than their partners...

• Yeh we get jealous but if a girl smiled at me with my chick id smile back too just that eye contact moment now I can see if it happened too many times then that's a prob

• Sounds like you might be either insecure/controlling, or from a culture where you don't talk to strangers or members of the opposite gender.

People can't tell others how to act or who to look at. That kind of control is just not right.

• Yes I am not a selfconfident penguin and for sure being insecure sometimes like all normal people. I just don't understand why he didn't laugh with me.

• Yes he laughed with her and I wonder why he didn't laugh with me instead

• Because you weren't laughing at the moment lol

• I don't get jealous, and he's right, in some cultures, there's an acceptable amount of positive social interaction allowed even with perfect strangers. The irish for example, have a very high tolerance of social interaction with strangers.

What Girls Said 2

• they were flirting with each other, and you are allowed to smile and anyone you want no matter where you come from. Its a nice thing to do. but to do it in a flirty way that a whole different kind of story. Keep an eye on that guy, its sounds like he shouldn't be trusted

• If I make eye contact with a man OR a woman, I always smile. It is just a polite thing to do. Didn't think this was resticted to just us Amercians though.

• I live in an islamic country and if you smile at strangers they will always consider it as flirt. And I don't mind smiling he laughed with her