Guys, why do this to an ex?

When you know a relationship with an ex isn't possible because they still have feelings for you and you've moved on, why do you pretend/say that you want that or allow contact between you and that person?

Most Helpful Guy

• People do this for one of two reasons.

First, they do it because they feel that it will make things easier on the other person. This is really just a cop-out. It's easier for THEM, not the person they broke up with. The person they broke up with would be far better off knowing that it's completely over, so they can move on.

Second, they do it to intentionally string the other person along, usually for sex.

What Guys Said 3

• Because that person is conflicted in what they want. Maybe they still have feelings even after they've moved on. Or they want the best of both worlds, maybe have the emotional connection with the ex while hitting something new. Sometimes they may want to play the field a bit before coming back and are trying to keep you around so that you don't move on.

• because you feel bad for hurting them and you think that it will soften the blow.

• I guess they do that, just without any bad intentions.

What Girls Said 1

• They do it for an ego boost. Just put a stop to all contact. My ex has move on and will send me % that's right just random symbols, I have gotten percent signs, periods, parentheses that's it. They just want to know they could still get you if they wanted. Its making the person who is still attached the plan B.