Great First Date, but the aftermath is questionable

There's this guy I've had a crush on since elementary. We recently reconnected after not seeing each other since grade school. Everything was going great between us. We were just talking off and on for a little over a month. Then a couple weeks ago he asked me out on a date. We had a great night, or so thought. I thought everything went well, we were laughing the whole night, and talking about everything. We walked around and acted like we were married when we walked into ikea. Like we were buying furniture for our house. He was such a gentleman and everything was perfect. We had so much in common it was ridiculous. The problem here is that he just got harshly dumped about 7months ago and he might not be over her. The day after our great first date, he became cold and distant. Like he didn’t want to talk to me at all. I'm so confused right now, how do I approach him? Do I ask him like "hey is everything ok?" or what? I don't know what to do or what I did wrong? Even if I can't date him cause he might still be hung up on the other girl, I at least still want to be his friend, but how do I approach him without sounding pathetic or annoying?

What Guys Said 2

• If you have given it enough time between the date and the call, and you only call/text him once, it won't be either of those things.

• I would suggest, give him some space if he's being cold.

What Girls Said 0