What would you wear to a loved one's funeral?

I hear people say that they don't want others to wear black to their funeral. I would want to go to a funeral in my loved ones favorite color(s) is that bad? My aunt said to wear black to a funeral because anything else would be disrespectful, but I thought people wore black because they were mourning the person's death? What would you wear to a loved ones funeral?

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess people should generally wear what most people there are going to be wearing. Maybe have like a flower pin or something small in the person's favorite color.

I have heard of some people wearing red to an all-black funeral to symbolize celebrating the life of the person, but not everyone agrees with this.

Some people prefer to have funerals where people don't wear black, but wear bright colors instead.

What Guys Said 5

• One also wears black because that is what everybody has. If we were to buy different color suits just to placate a dead persons screwed up wishes whenever a joker died that would really be stupid.

Black is neutral, simple, and doesn't carry any festive meaning and can be used in any age and time.

The funeral is not for the benefit of the dead. The dead doesn't care. The funeral is for the benefit of the living. The grieving relatives. The people who have lost someone. So the respect in question os for them, to show that you're parttaking in their grief or at least respect their loss.

• for me black tuxedo would be fine to wear. I would choose it because that tradition is most accepted in most of communities. black also means darkness. means your feeling is dark and sad like dark clouds because you've just lost someone you loved (which is common if they cry).

of course, black doesn't always mean darkness. many people also wear it to make themselves look elegant. so it also depends on the place where you are and what kind of costume you are wearing. basically, it is important to consider most people's impression when they see what you are wearing and where you are.

this is why people choose green as surgeon costume and white for doctor. and this is why girlsaskguys chose pink as background color for female silhouette in female anonymous avatar. can you imagine what would people think if pink was chosen for the male avatar ?

• I'd wear black, but just because I like it- not because of any tradition or whatnot. Black dress shirt, black pants, black shoes, and a solid red tie :)

• Same reason you wouldn't wear black as a bride, it's just respectful to wear black to a funeral.

• All black.

What Girls Said 8

• I wear black and then add something in the person's favorite color or something special that they gave me/reminds me of them. Just keep it kinda conservative.

For example, let's say the person's favorite color was lime green. I'll wear black and then add something like earrings or a bracelet in lime green.

Some cultures consider white to be the color of mourning. I like that better. But you stick to what the family's wishes or customs are for the most part.

• If your loved one spoke to you about it or asked for it then by all means, otherwise no, wear black.

• I would wear black because many people believe it is disrespectful not to and I wouldn't want to offend them.

• Wear black and his fav color in a necklace or earrings

• Black

• I think it would be a beautiful gesture to wear their favorite color.

• Just wear black-it represents death and white is life..ironically Egyptians had it the opposite

• A dark color but it doesn't have to be black. Navy blue or brown or charcoal grey. I love the idea of wearing something as jewelry or an accessory in memory of their favorite color or come with a rose or another flower in that color but I wouldn't go so overboard to wear that color to a funeral you'll stand out and it's not about you(even if that's not what you intend that's how it's going to come across to others)