I'm worried about my friend's boyfriend and the way he treats her. They have been living together for about 2 years now, and during that time he has done the following things that concern me...
- Reads her bank statements.
- Tells her what she can or cannot spend her money on.
- Occasionally shouts/pushes her.
- She has hidden shopping bags before because is scared he will find out she has been shopping.
- Gets annoyed with her if she goes out too much with her friends.
- Decides where they are going on holidays.
- Once confessed he 'may' have kissed another girl (to me) but he was too drunk to remember.
Do you think there is something to worry about? If so, how can I talk to my friend about it without her getting upset and thinking I don't like him?
Most Helpful Girl
Do you think there is something to worry about?
Yes as he's treating her like a child rather than an equal partner, showing signs of being physically abusive, and possibly a cheater.
It seems like she doesn't have a say in the relationship as he's making the decisions. Such as him telling her what she can/cannot spend her own money on and reading her bank statements to verify as if she's a child and not an equal partner when likely she don't have a say in what he can spend his own money.
If so, how can I talk to my friend about it without her getting upset and thinking I don't like him?
Depends on your friend though likely it's best to focus on him:
- not treating her like an equal partner
- showing signs of being physically abusive
- possibly cheating0