Worst relationship advice you've ever received?

I was told by two people to act like I'm not into video games (I am, always have been). One said it was too geeky and immature to like video games, and the other said to pretend like I didn't know how to play and say my huge collection of games is my brother's.

What are your worst stories?

Most Helpful Girl

• I am proud to say I did not follow this advice but a friend told me to date one guy who I was not attracted to and have a friends with benefits on the side. I wasn't even asking for advice.

• That is just wrong on so many levels. What is the point?

What Guys Said 10

• To talk to my ex.

• -"Be an alpha male. Alphas are the only men of value. The rest could literally be killed off and humanity would be better for it." <--Most of my girlfriends would have left me for thinking such BS. Most would call it misandric.

-"Be aloof. Don't be too expressive" <--Most of the girls I met fell for my goofy sense of humor, instead of 'funny/cocky' like they say in those books.

-"Relationships last longest when the man feels his girlfriend is out of his league." <--Only because it keeps manipulative relationships past their expiration date.

-"Nice guys finish last" <--Sounds like someone looking at all the wrong women.

• The worst relationship advice I ever got was none at all. My family was rather distant in that regard. I was cast adrift, I suppose.

A friend of mine, a woman no less, told me I had to be meaner. I thought that was silly, so I didn't follow it. I guess that advice is runner up.

• "You should tell her you like her. She'll think it's cute." I did tell her...and no, she didn't think it was cute.

• Be someone you aren't. Honestly you'll get tired of the act and your true colours will show to your partner. There's then a chance that your partner doesn't like your true colours.

Why waste your time looking for a person who does not like you when you can be yourself and find someone who does?

• be a nice guy.

• Depends on what you mean by "nice guy."

• what do you mean too sexual? how is treating a woman right and in a certain way too sexual?

• He told me -I- was too sexual. Like he pulled a 180 on me and lost interest all of a sudden. I'm saying he didn't treat me well, and that was the icing on the cake.

• Be nice to women.

• Women like nice guys!

• That's actually, to most guys that I know, a large turn on haha. But my worst advice? To completely cut off my Filipino lifestyle with people in general. Basically, to not be myself and to act as stereotypically white as possible.

• That I'm alway supposed to be right.

• Yes, I wish it was socially acceptable to say "I don't know." Because then there's pressure and people make up things to look cool/knowledgeable. And that is NOT cool...

What Girls Said 6

• I've never asked for relationship advice because no one knows my relationship like I do and despite what anyone says I know what's best for me. The worse involuntary advice I've gotten is from my mom..."your still young, its good that your committed but your not married so its OK to flirt"

• NICE points! Love that "no one knows my relationship like I do and despite what anyone says I know what's best for me." Unfortunately I fall into destructive patterns with men (emotionally abusive men) and I get sucked in and lose myself. Not next time! No siree!

• Hopefully next time will be better and I'll learn. Writing about it helps. Thank you so much for your encouragement. :)

• no problem, good luck

• "He's a jerk"

No explanation no anything, just instantly saying that phrase.

He's not. But I don't mind if people back up their thoughts with opinions/facts, tell me why!

• I don't know about relationship advice but the worst advice I've ever gotten is :
    "Just be yourself :))"
    It's unhelpful, cliche and it gets on my nerves.

• A friend of mine once told me after I was cheated on that in the future I should do things to prevent it. Like keeping tabs and not "allowing" future boyfriends to do certain things.

Any dude who would put up with that shit isn't man enough for me.

• "Tell him u like him"
    *figures out he's GAY*
    yap :v

• This isn't about me but when I was in high school, one of the guys in my class told another guy that the way to a girls heart was a big romantic gesture. This guy was pretty nerdy and this was his first big crush. So he did it. He decorated the classroom and asked her out in front of the whole class. She turned him down awkwardly. It hurt to watch.