• Ask
  • myTake

Why do guys use smileys and lol a lot in texts?

I have this one guy friend do this a lot and it bugs me! Whys does he do it? And he says sorry a lot in his texts to if we don't get time to hang out... Show More

Thanks guys!
Karion156 it's one guy.

Most Helpful Opinion

• If he says sorry a lot, then he sounds a bit insecure, and wants you to know that he's sorry, and uses emoticons in a way to flirt. Each person has their own reason behind using smiley faces.I tend to use them to help convey what I am saying, since not just emotions but tone of voice can be hard to pick up through text alone. If I am being sarcastic, I tend to use a smiley face to show that I am being sarcastic just in case the person was thinking I was being serious. The only time I ever use any kind of smiley face as a way to show I am flirting with a girl is when I use the wink face ;) like that. If I am just using a regular :) face, then I am just trying to get across the tone of voice.

What Guys Said 14

• can you correct something for me.. is it just one guy that's doing this or is it every guy? you said both and it confuses me.

• He also rarley tells me no like when iask him ifcan see him he always says yes or okay. And if he hurts my feelings tells me that he didn't do it on purpose.

• he's probably just a nice guy that doesn't know how to be more selfish. I use to be like that tell I learned the difference between being nice and "being used"just tell him to be more assertive with his own needs and that people don't have to agree on everything and still be friends.

• I'm not sure, but I do it pretty often :DIn fact, whenever I'm chatting, almost every single sentence has at least one emoticon at the end.. o.oThat's kinda how it works! :P...point is, for me, it's a habit, and a means of showing some type of emotion. But it's nothing compared to voice and all. "lol" is sort of neutral if you ask me, most people just reply that to almost anything.

• He is trying to better show his emotions through his texts. He is saying he is sorry, because he really wants to spend more time with you. It has nothing to do with manliness.

• Lack of communicative skills.

• Probably because it's hard to convey tone in just text only, thus smileys are attempts to so what tone the message. As for his apologies, I guess he feels guilty or something lol.

• He probably thinks you like it.Or he was P-whipped into writing like that by previous GF.

• sounds like a strong white knight

• its not lack of manliness as these people say. its this guy likes you and I trying to get to know you more. maybe he feels his emotion smileys will convey his message to you indirectly. sorry isn't a weakness he just probably feels intimidated by you & that you may not like him and therefore reject him. hence forth he playing the Slow but Steady approach :-)

• "he just probably feels intimidated by you & that you may not like him and therefore reject him."...does't this sound weak ant not what a real man would do?...p****** feel intimidated by women. p****** are scared of accepting that rejection is a part of life and growth.

• are you trying to say that you never felt intimidated before. dude its in human nature to feel intimidated.. you sound as if you never been rejected...good luck fellow Troll

• lack of manliness...tries to hard to be overly nice...

• their flirting

• they use it as a way to flirt.

• Sorry sorry sorry sounds like he is a p**** p**** p****. Move onto another guy friend or whatever you are pursuing

• he doesn't seem to be a guy with manliness.

What Girls Said 4