How can I tell my parents I want to go on a date with a guy I met online without starting a war?

I'm 21 years old. Meeting people online is the most convenient way for my lifestyle. I want to respect my parents and let them know who I want to date, since I still live with them, but they don't like the idea of having friends online or dating such people. They assume ALL people online are bad.

I met him on GAG and we've been talking for about 3 months and would like to try dating while we still only live 2 hours away from each other. I go away to another school in January, and we want to test "us" out to see if a longer distance thing would be worth trying.

How do I handle my parents with this? I don't want to lie, but I worry that they'll automatically dislike him simply because I met him online. I think sneaking around to meet with him would be just as bad as lying about how I met him. Any tips?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think if you explain your plan, safety wise, and your thoughts, then they should be more understanding than otherwise.

• That may be true, but my younger sister heard me fooling around with him on Skype once and told me mom, so she knows I'm talking to someone online, but doesn't know it's him... They already judge me and always ask what I did/who I talked to every time I'm on my computer... I don't want that one incident to come back if/when I start dating him. I would have written all this in the details, but wanted to keep it short. =/

What Guys Said 1

• Alright..I heard where your little sister blabbed...do you think murder is justified?...lol...but just because you were "fooling around online" does not mean that you met him online..is that a possibility? I mean I hate a liar more than most...yet I still reserve the right to invoke the "Tom Sawyer Principle"...which is my own phrase and is a combination SYA (Save Your Ass) and GD (General Denial for Self Preservation)

What Girls Said 1

• Don't lie, why do you have to tell them you met him online why not say you met him in a group? Just word it differently.

• I was thinking of saying we met through a friend of a friend or something who gave us each others' e-mail address or something. They might believe it since he lives in the same state as me... is that good? I just want it to be something we could tell both our parents in case something serious ends up happening.

• You could but then they will want to know what friend most likely. Or you could just have him over at your place and then they could meet him a nd see not everyone online is a creeper.