Is it OK to like each other and still be friends in the meantime?

Ok, so I have a HUGE problem. The guy I like has told me multiple times he likes me too, but now he's saying he thought he did, but he doesn't because he's not ready and is afraid. He's not ready for a relationship, & I get that. I'm not forcing him, I told him I'd wait til' he's ready. but he doesn't think it's okay to like each other and still be friends in the mean time. I don't know what to do. Is there any way I can convince him? ugh

What Guys Said 2

• The best romantic relationships come out of friendship. You can not have a great romantic relationship with someone who is not you friend.

Any relationship that doesn't come out of friendship is usually a business transaction.

You have to ask yourself, if he liked me once and now he doesn't how long am I going to give him to heal or decide if he likes someone else more than me?

If I were in your shoes, I would convince him that you are a great person by dating other guys. Show him you are desired by other guys and just maybe his jealous side will bring him to his senses. If you pretend to really have a great time with the other guy and can't wait to see the other guy it might just get your special someone to commit to you.

Remember, he doesn't think it's okay to like each other and still be friends. So it must be okay to date other people. This works to your advantage. Use his words to win his heart.

• No, that's not the problem...

the problem is he's been hurt so much that he's afraid to get into another relationship. I told him I get that and I would wait until he is. But he's told me he likes me then tells me he doesn't.. because he's too afraid to. So suddenly he doesn't like me? I don't get it. I need to get him to see that it's OK to be friends and still like each other.

• You can.. but this sounds fishy.. He is ready or he isnt.. there really isn't a middle ground...

Are you sleeping together?

• no, we aren't. He tells me he likes me and then he says he thought he did, but he's afraid to like someone again because he fears he'll get crushed. then he says I'm "pressuring him" when I'm not. I told him I'd wait until he was ready for a relationship. but I'm trying to show him that it's OK to be friends and still like each other.

• Ah that is difficult... Because you really can't afford for him.. He is being selfish to drag you around

• I know. I don't know what to do though. I just told him though that it is a little selfish to drag me around by telling me he likes me then doesn't. He takes it to heart if you call him conceited or anything close to it. But I need him to understand it's OK to like each other and still be friends. I need a way to convince him.. I'm desperate.

What Girls Said 0