How well does your personality translate into chat (like on GaG), I'm and in text messaging?

DISCLAIMER: on this question, "chat" refers to purely textual communication such as non-camera I'm and text messaging

------------

I must admit that finding the correct wording for this question is tricky (damn scattered Libra brainpower) lol.

Being on GaG as long as I have, and chatting with many users as long as I have, some people have come to the realization (and have said), that their personality doesn't show much in chat, compared to conversation in real life or on camera (aka, communication with a visual aspect).

In short, the person's perception online is (unintentionally) different than in real life because they don't know how to show their personality in textual form.

Ex's:

As in, a person can be charismatic and sociable with strangers in real life...but on chat online the person comes off to others as "closed off" or socially awkward/creepy.

A person that's normally introverted and stand-offish towards strangers, can be very social and bold on sites with chat such as this.

A person that's sexually reserved can become very bold sexually, or someone sexually bold can be very reserved.

Someone who is usually bitchy/a**hole-like, comes off as more compassionate, or someone that is normally compassionate comes off as bitchy/a**hole-like.

------------

I think you get the idea.

-------------

As for yourself, when it comes to any type of textual conversation...how accurate is your personality perceiced in a textual conversation, such as in text messaging or on chat on GaG...versus your personality in real life?

Is your personality in chat / texting (in your opinion) better, worse, or the same, as in real life?

Vote and reply as much as you like.

--------

P.S. Guess the pokemon! :-D

• My personality in real life, PERFECTLY translates into chat and messaging
  • My personality comes off differently, for the BETTER, in chat and messaging, vs. in real life
  • My personality comes off differently, for the WORSE, in chat and messaging, vs. in real life

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that how your personality comes off online or in text pretty much depends on the way you express yourself. If your word choice and vocabulary and ideas translate well or better on paper (or on screen) it's simply because you have the benefit of extra time, are good at expressing yourself without the benefit of facial expressions or tones. If it doesn't you're just a better communicator than you are a writer. That's why some college students opt for in person interviews instead of admission essays: they prefer verbal communication because they can better express their ideas through speech or vice versa. Also because people also try to abbreviate things so often in text, they lose the real meaning of what they were trying to say, the sentence structure and tone...all of which say a lot about a person. I'm an English buff if you couldn't tell and I just finished a term paper on a similar topic it was titled "How 21st Century Communication Changed the First Impression" and focused on how we perceive people differently because of technology.

What Girls Said 6

• My personality, even in real life changes from time to time usually depending on who I am with. I feel that on chat like on GaG there is a level of anonymity that is present that I can reveal parts of my personality that I do not show with my close friends. However, when I first chat with a "complete stranger" (for lack of a better word) I am more reserved, but then become friendlier. If I become more comfortable and they understand my personality, I may--keyword being may--become comfortable enough to use sexual innuendo in our conversations. I am actually a virgin and sexually shy, but have a strong sexuality (I am full of contradictions, lol) and online with anonymoty I am much more bold sexually, I guess I feel it is safer (Not really though) to explore here rather than face-to-face. I don't know I am weird, but I hope this helps! =D

• I try to see that my personality comes across the same in writing.

• I'm a bit bolder and more "chatty" in chat than in real life but overall, it translates well.

• For worse, because there is no inflection via technology.

• I have no idea , honestly.

Probs worse, it's hard to sound really excited about something

• It depends on who is reading. Your tone is usually the same on such sites (perhaps a little more casual/open/direct with friends), and more casual with texts (since one presumes that the people who would think to text you are your family/friends/closer acquaintances). If the reader is feeling grumpy or happy, that influences their read of your message. If you/the reader are in a hurry when sending/reading e/o's messages, there's more potential for a misstep, so always leave time and space for a careful read-through. :-)

What Guys Said 6

• I tend to be definitely a little more confident when texting/chatting especially if it's someone I just met.

It also changes however based on how much I like the person or whether or not I feel like talking to them/or if I am in a bad mood.

There's been quite a few girls now who can tell if something's not right when say texting because they already know my texting personality and vice versa for them.

I feel like you can be close to your real life personality but at the same time I feel as if most people have a specific texting personality that's slightly different.

And no clue who that pokemon is XD I'm only well learned in original 150 and maybe a decent amount of pokemon silver/gold. Nostalgia at it's finest.

• Awesome question. I've thought about it myself a lot.

For me, it's just a different personality in general. I guess it depends on who I'm talking to. If I'm talking to someone I know well and am comfortable with, my personality is about the same online / texting as it is in person. But if it's someone I might be more shy with in person, I can talk to them way more easily online / via texting. So I guess I'll vote B in the poll, although that's not to say my personality isn't good in real life; it's just that with people I'm more shy with in real life, I can talk to them way easier online. I'm trying to work on the in real life thing though, gradually. Trying to open up and get less shy and more comfortable with talking to strangers.

• I think I'm more me in chat. Partially because I'm better at words then body language etc. partly because it's pseudo anonymous and the stakes are lower.

• I'm pretty much the same way, though my body language is more open.

• Online I tend to say whatever because it doesn't matter. I'll type anything online for a laugh but in real life I'm probably more reserved.

• Jokes usually come across horribly because you lose comedic timing and delivery.

so much is communicated through tone of voice, inflection and emotion in the voice and that's all lost in texting and on this board.