Your opinion on online dating?

What's your opinion on online dating? Have you ever done it?

I personally Haven't done it, and I don't know if I would... It seems to me that its very hard to keep up with, since you only know each other through the internet. I do believe though, that you can meet great people on the internet, become really good and close friends, and THEN meet in real, and that you' two maybe would become a couple then.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not that hard to keep up actually. You just make a profile, put out a few messages, see who responds, and occasionally send an private message or talk a while on an instant messenger from time to time. It's not that far off from coming onto this site and asking/answering questions, or posting on a forum. Not much harder work than texting or something.

I used one for a while there, and I found no major difference from dating in real life. The main difference I found was that it's all up front, and people are slightly more likely to talk to someone online than in person, due to the distance, and partial anonymity involved. Like because it's online, and there's that electronic wall between you to, it's a little safer physically and psychologically.

Other than that, same amount of liars and weirdos. Same amount of users, and cheaters. All those negative human beings people associate with these sites are really, in the end the same people you see everywhere else. But still along with that the same good kindhearted, wonderful people are there as well.

Personally I'm tired of all the stupid negativity, and stigma involved with internet dating. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Most the people who bash it are people who've never even tried it, and dismiss it without even a thought. The second biggest critic are those who tried it for like a week and got rejected early and cried about it in their dark room.

I'm getting tired of the mentality that everyone on the internet is a psycho, or a rapist who's going to deceive you and stuff you in a van, and ritually rape you and sacrifice you to satan. So far I'm the only one I know who does th... I mean... uh... anyway. But all jokes aside, it's funny how many people think this stuff. Like if we're all like that, all us internet folk, then what does that make you? (points to whoever reads this)

Anyway, I tried a few sites when I was busy and didn't have a lot of free time, and it worked out well enough. I got a few decent girlfriends out of it that last a while. I had some friends who found someone off these sites. One of them got married from it. So clearly they're not a total failure. But whatever. Haters gonna hate.

In closing: The internet, like Soylent Green, is people.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• Online dating has come a long way from what it once was.

Online dating used to be reserved for the desperate and it used to be looked down on.

In today's times, it is super convenient. A large part of the population is on one and it makes it so much easier to meet and talk to people. It works especially if you live in a metropolitan area where you can't possibly meet everyone there. This gives you a way of filtering through some people, getting to meet a few cool ones and maybe start something up. It sure beats going to the bars on a regular basis, dating coworkers or begging your friends to set you up with someone all the time.

I've met a few people online, none of which ultimately worked out but I had fun with them :)

• I am not against online dating. I'm 16 & actually met this boy who lives 2 1/2 hours away. He's the sweetest kid, my family loves him & we spent pretty much the whole summer together. His life revolves around me, he does everything to make me happy, drives 2 1/2-3 hours just to see me.