Considering dating a very religious girl, has anyone tried this as an atheist?

So an ex-coworker of mine is a very fun, attractive girl who seems to like me. The only problem I see is she is very religious. Not in a fanatic kind of way, she's very intelligent and constantly laments that so many people think of religious folk as the crazed fanatics burning 'devil toys'.

I've never dated anyone THAT religious though. What are the pros/cons?

She is VERY catholic. I know she's dated guys who aren't catholic in the past, and I was raised catholic... except I never truly believed nor had a choice. The second I could get out of it, I did.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are a lot of factors to it. I think it depends on the girl and what religion she practices. There are a lot of religious people that are not crazy fanatic and are actually super fun and nice to date. If she seems like a cool girl and you are interested then I would say go for it and give it a try. Both of you could end up having a lot of fun and learning quite a bit from each other. One con to keep in mind though is that you both may have some big differences in belief and values. Just give it a shot and get to know her some more.

What Girls Said 6

• I would try but there is a high chance it wouldn't work. I wouldn't even be surprised if she tries to drag you to church. Would you be okay with that? Even going more than once? Even trying to convert if she encourages it? It just depends on how high strung in your values you are.

• i don't mean to be rude but, how can be there a thing such as a "VERY" catholic person? so to your question, if she really is like that, the first thing you shouldn't do is become an atheist. there is a bad past between catholics and atheists.

• Do you know if her or her family have expectations of the people she dates?

• If her religion is anything bibilical, you will encounter far more cons than pros. Your levels of common sense will collide to the point of not agreeing where to eat and having sex. Such religion is a form of insanity, either expressly displayed or in shadow because the moralities conflict with the rhythms of the conscience and that of love. If I were you I would not seek her for a mate.

• @update: then why are you asking this question? You should know the pros and cons if you were raised catholic.

• Honestly just trying to figure out if it'd be expected for me to go to religious events such as mass with her. I've never dated anyone who really believed and basically blocked out the religious ed I was forced to go to, so I really don't know what would be expected of me

• Ask her.

• depends on the religion she follows. different religions have different rules. and different people have different definitions of being religious.

• Depends...what religion?

I'm a atheist and I'm talking to a pretty religious Buddhist. It's fun because there is no pressure and I'm learning about a world I don't know too much about. But I don't think I could date a super religious Christian from my past experience (keyword: "my"). They start off normal, but once you start hearing their views it gets amazingly ignorant.

• See that's the thing. She's not ignorant. She believes in her own way and believes strongly that god looks out for her, but she looks down upon the blind followers who never really think. That's the only reason I'm even considering it, frankly ridiculously religious folk normally terrify me but she seems, well... sane.

• Even if she's tolerant do you think her family is going to be the same? Do you think her mom/dad will give you a hard time?

My best friend is use to be super religious as a kid. Now, like myself, he is an ex-Christian but his mom is the craziest woman I've ever met in my life. She's the type you see on those soap boxes trying to either damn people to hell or convert them. The previous generation is always crazier.

What Guys Said 0