Why do you say yes or no to a date?

Like if someone approached you and asked you out, what would make you give them a chance as opposed to saying no?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on where you are in life. When I was younger, I had a few relationships but they were mostly the result of meeting through friends. After being dumped by my last boyfriend after being together for 5 months, I had a change of heart. I told myself I was just going to date date date all summer, meet a ton of people and committ to no one. Give myself some time just to have fun and learn how to get better at dating through practice. I met a guy out one night (thru a friend actually) but when out eyes first locked, we did not know that our friend was mutual. I was physically attracted to him but wasn't so sure about the personality. However, turning over a new leaf, I said yes. I went out with him, had a decent date and informed him that I was not looking for anything serious and just wanted to date around. Well, I never went on another date with any other guy. He was motivated, confident, and went after what he wanted. I simply could not resist him and 2 months later we were committed, one month later living together and 8 months in engaged. I guess I'm really monogamous, what can I say lol. However, I do believe if I hadn't met 'the one' on the first date of my dating excursion, I would have thoroughly enjoyed myself dating mulitple men for awhile. Point being, at that time I was open to dating just about anyone as long as there was a reasonable amount of attraction there. What would have made me say no to him . . . If he'd been cocky or mean, I don't have time for either of those. Oh yea, and the guy that dumped me came back 4 months later, after I was seeing my new guy. Sorry bout your luck chump! That was a very lengthy answer but I guess I'd wrap it up by saying, you will never get one answer to suit all ladies, on a question like this. Just be confident, kind (to her AND others) and go for it!

What Girls Said 4

• If someone I didn't know just cold approached me and asked me on a date right away, I would always say no. I don't even know the guy. If we had talked for a little bit and it's clear he's not a creep, I'd probably say yes based on how physically attracted to him I was, and how well I think we could carry on conversation.

• I think it's best to give someone a chance, unless you already know how you would feel after a date. Like, if you're friends with them, but know you have no feelings for them, or aren't attracted to them and can't see that changing. If I already know (or think) feelings won't develop, then I would say no.

I think you can judge how you should respond by how them asking you makes you feel. If you get some big stupid grin on your face, YES. If you panic or feel the bad awkwardness, then maybe not.

• You might want to talk to me first before trying that one. Otherwise, you better be hot!

• Great question...

It really depends. If he seems too young/old for me, I politely refuse. If he seems to have too different an outlook from mine (based on our conversation), then I also politely refuse. Just because someone approaches you doesn't mean that you even have the qualities they may think you have, so I know that I am actually doing the right thing be refusing.

I would say "Yes" to a person who seems to have an accurate vision of me, who likes me for more than just the way I look. If I get the sense that he sincerely appreciates my sense of humor, my way of thinking, and isn't just smiling like a wolf because he likes some part of my anatomy, then I will ask him what he's doing later or accept his invitation to go out.

When I was younger (in college), I'd only hang out with a guy who was recommended to me by one of my very conservative guy friends. Going out on dates wasn't allowed, so there would have to be a specific purpose to what the guy wanted to hang out and do (e.g., school project, carpool, etc.). Only one guy understood that. The rest were guy friends who watched me like hawks.

One of the "hawks" tried to catch up with me during grad school, but I was already engaged by then, which tells you that timing is also an important part of the equation. He wasn't ready back in college, and by the time he was I was on a different path. Too bad, really, because he was a nice fellow, but everyone knew he'd be single for life. (Don't weep for him; he's in a 10-year-old relationship now with a girl he has no intention of marrying, which would never have been right for us anyway.)

What Guys Said 0