Do you believe teenagers can be mature for their age?

or is that for grown men use to get with girls?

I was discussing teens dating young adults with my mother. She was saying 20 year olds dating 16 year olds are not normal (either immature or wants something other than love).

I asked "What if the 16 year old is mature for her age?"

And she basically said: "bullsh*t"

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends - Maturity and what I feel is "real" age is not determined by how many years you live but rather what you have faced in your life. A person who is 15 can live through a much more complicated life than a 50 year old and thus have a greater sense of maturity. It's not always the case but an example is if someone lives a cushy rich life from 1-30 they can be as immature as a normal 6 year old when they are 30. Take Paris hilton for an example...she's basically a 12 year old. I've lived through a lot and when I was 18 many people didn't believe I was under 25 due to how I acted.

The other issue is that most guys are only out for one thing. I'm not one of those guys however I'd say 80% are. So most guys would only be with a girl for one thing and if she's 16 and he's 20 it can normally only be bad.

Long story short most times it's a no however every once in awhile there can be a good guy and a smart girl or vise versa and things can click.

Hope this helps!

What Guys Said 6

• In the middle ages, 30 year old men would marry 12-16 year old girls. However, 16 year olds have not faced enough crisis to be considered mature or at least wise.

• In & before the middle ages (and until way in the 19th century) people married very young because life expectancy was some 35 years and many women died at childbirth. Life simply HAD to be lived in a shorter period thus, started earlier. It can still be seen in some 19th century Laws on age of consent. Until way in the 19th century age of consent was 11-12 year (the then legally supposed age of menarche) When life expectancy got better, age of consent was raised too. Nothing to do with maturity.

• They can be mature for a teen, but not to the extent that they should be considered equal to a grown man for dating purposes.

20(m) and 16(f) is pushing it, for me.

• Yes I think it's possible...since I too was already from an early age.

• Your mom is right.

• I totally disagree with your mother, and everyone else who thinks this way.

• There are millions of teens (male and female) who think they are more mature than others their age. Some are. Most are not. But you can never convince them of that. So I will not discuss your level of maturity. But men who are truly mature know better than to date 16 year olds, regardless.

• A man wanting a young girl will convince her (and himself!) that she's mature enough, even if she isn't.

• Agree with that!

What Girls Said 3

• It depends

• I just turned 18 like two weeks ago, I was with my ex boyfriend just a couple months ago when I was still 17 and he always told me I was a lot more mature than most girls my age and that I did not seem like I was 17. I actually get that quite a bit. And he's 23.

• no sorry, I agree with your mother...a 16 year old who is mature for her age is not the same maturity level as a 20 year old women.