Girls how much is this male stereotype true in your experience?

There's the age-old cliche that men have a terrible memory for dates. It's been the topic of at least one episode in every comedy ever made. We supposedly forget birthdays, valentine, her birthday, etc.

I have never had any trouble remembering important dates, and I don't think any of my male friends has either.

So has anyone of you girls ever found the stereotype to be true?

*anniversaries

Mainly I was talking about important dates with his partner though. I can't remember everyone's birthday either, that's where Facebook comes in.
I have no problem remembering the birthdays of my immediate family (so bloodbound siblings and parents) and best friend. Hell, I still remember the birthdays of half my exes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. I'm below average at remembering dates and my boyfriend is great at it. Only one of my exes was bad at it but I'm pretty sure it's because he didn't give a crap about it :P I do hear a lot of stories from girl friends, but their choice of male company is usually not that great in general, so...

I do know some guys who seriously fit just about every male stereotype you can think of and are proud of it, it's like someone yanked them right out of a laughtrack sitcom. Maybe if the media stopped portraying men as dumbf*** cavemen and women as catty naggy bitches, it wouldn't ring true as often in reality.

But anyway, even besides personal experience, there's no logical reason to believe that it's some universal truth, unless someone tries to make the "innate brain differences from birth" argument.

What Girls Said 13

• For the most part, I find that men are able to remember important dates involving their wives/girlfriends, sisters/mothers, they just don't seem to attach as much significance to them sometimes. My brother always remembers birthdays for my mom, my sister, me, and his girlfriend (as well as most of his friends), and I've never known him to forget his anniversary either. My male friends are much the same- they remember the dates that are important.

It's more that they don't tend to see birthdays or Valentine's Day or even anniversaries the same way many women do- they see it as a special day kind of in the same way as Friday is a special day as it ends the week, but it happens every week so no need to get TOO excited about it all...

• I see birthdays and anniversaries as important, but not Valentine's day. If you need a specific day to show each other you love each other, there's something wrong with the relationship. Getting a gift on a random day is always better than "omg it's Valentines day my boyfriend is going to 'surprise' me today!"

• I totally agree actually, I've never been a huge Valentine's person...One thing I do love about Valentine's Day though is these heart-shaped lollipops that I love only come out for Valentine's and on Feb. 15th they're half price :)

• My brother is notoriously bad at this. He forgets EVERYONE'S birthday. Our mother, mine, his fiancees. I have to send him a reminder two weeks ahead of time so he can organise gifts etc. He's always been like this.

My ex boyfriend was also terrible. He never remembered my birthday, our anniversary or even the day we were meant to be meeting. I'd turn up and he'd be like 'I thought you were coming on Tuesday'. To be honest, he wasn't great in many respects so I can't hold this as his major problem.

I think if people care to remember or at least go about finding a way of not missing things, that at least means that they care about it. Some people are just lazy or don't see it as important. You'll notice these particular people (note- not JUST men) never forget things like football games or obscure shopping trips planned months in advance...

• Only to an extent, but usually no, in fact my s/o knew how long we'd been together before I could calculate. I'm like it's been two months, he's like nooo it's been three months, count with me... Lol but yeah it's usually NOT true but I still usually have better memory than my partners.

• The last guy I dated could barely remember the birthday of his own mother, let alone mine. I wound up programming some dates/reminders (ie parent's birthday, birthdays of some of his best friends, mine, etc.) into his cell when he first got his iPhone and I was showing him how to use it. This was also partly because he didn't believe things like birthdays or holidays were important, so consequently we never celebrated an anniversary, either. Initially we clashed a little about his indifference to birthdays/holidays/etc., but it just got so negative and tiresome that I gave up. Honestly, it was really disheartening.

• He probably didn't remember them well because he didn't think they were important. Boo him. :P

• i don't know about anniversaries and stuff, because I've never been in a serious relationship. but I know for sure that if the guy really likes you he remembers stuff. I knew this one guy who I think really liked me and if I told him something about myself he would remember it and actually remind me of things... lol so I dotn think those stereotypes are true. but on the other side of it.. I could care less if he remembered an anniversary for gods sake.. I probably would forget it too XD

• I've actually never been with a guy who forgot an anniversary or a birthday or any important date.

I do remember though getting into a fight with a boyfriend once because I forgot our anniversary. He was really mad and accused me of not caring about the relationship. Since when does forgetting a date mean that you don't care? It just means I have a really bad memory for crap like that.

• its been very true in my experience.

• My father doesn't forget birthdays and anniversaries, that sort of thing. But he does forget things we're supposed to do on weekends, i.e. visit family. But he thought it was important to remember those things because of the male stereotype of forgetting anniversaries and such. Honeslty, he's an jerk and remembering that stuff doesn't make him any better.

Other than that, I haven't had much experience with men and their date remembering.

• I think the older that guys get, the more they start to remember important dates.

• I have never had anyone forget. They are normally not aware of it until a week or so before though. And normally they go out that day to get a card or a gift.

• Yes, I had a boyfriend who still couldn't remember my birthday after 2 years of going out

• Seriously? Wow. For some family members I know what month their birthday is, but can't remember the exact date.

• Yea he got the month right but said a different date what's worse is that his ex had the birthday in the same month as me when I asked him when was my birthday he said the 6th which was probably his ex's since mine isn't till later in the month

• not really.

• Well there certainly are a lot of men in my life who forget important dates haha. It's no big deal to me though. I guess I'm used to it by now. This guy that I've been talking to forgot an important date, and he seemed so disappointed in himself that he forgot so I know it's not because you guys are being inconsiderate (well for some I'm sure that is the case). Is it really that hard for you guys?

• Well like I said, it's not for me. That's why I asked the question in the first place.

What Guys Said 7

• It's true for me.

I grew up in a small family, so there was a limited number of dates I ever had to remember.

Right now, I have difficulty remembering

my nephews birthdays

my brothers wedding anniversary

how many years he's been married

his wifes birthday

how old she is

my sisters wedding anniversary

how many years she's been married

her husbands birthday

how old he is

And they are family. When it comes to friends, girlfriends or whatever ... forget about it.

• Really true for me. Anything beyond my parents and sisters birthday is tough.

I have to use tricks to remember my kids' birthdays.

My best friend growing up, best man in my wedding, is born in late spring/early summer.

• I have more trouble with names than dates. My girlfriend has a bunch of friends and I really do try to remember them all and who is who but I tend to struggle with that a bit but I know its important to her so I try

• I notoriously have bad memories for dates. They're just nit important to me. I'll remember dates like Plymouth Rock, 1620, but not the first day we met.

• I forgot my dads birthday this year. Not the actual date, but just the fact that it was his birthday and I thought it was just another day. Two days later I'm like "I feel like I missed something important...", and then it hit me.

• My girlfriend and I have been together for 5 years but I have to write her birthday down in my calendar or I will forget it.

• I don't know the birthday of any of my cousins, any of my uncles and so on.

I don't see myself memorizing 30+ dates. No thanks. I'll stick with my mother/father/brother numbers