The relationship would fail eventually, but he still wants to try, HELP!

This guy and I have been good friends for nearly two years. He's 24, I'm 19. Recently he told me he has strong feelings for me. However, he's Muslim, and I'm Christian. In his culture, once he starts dating a girl it is assumed they are going to get married. And his parents would never let him marry a Christian. So a relationship wouldn't work.

However, he is still keen to give a relationship a go. He said "I could be killed next week. Life is short, we should go for it and worry about the problems later". I still wasn't convinced, so he said "Date me, and then if you ever find a nice Christian guy you can leave me for him, and I will understand. But I won't ever leave you". I told him that was a silly idea, and he said "I'd prefer that to not dating you at all". I really don't know what to do. What's the point of dating him if we know it will have to end one day? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BDo you think he genuinely likes me?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know if he genuinely likes you.

What I do know is that you need to think about this for yourself, because the Muslim-Christian thing can be pretty serious. His parents play a huge rule in this. You may be expected to become a Muslim yourself, participate in all their habits/rituals, raise your children as a Muslim. Is that what you want?

If you ask me, if he says something like 'if you ever find a nice Christian guy you can leave me for him' that he doesn't really like you. He just wants to be with you but doesn't really care about you. And personally I don't believe that he will let you go that easily.

You're right, there's no point of dating him if you know it will end quickly.

What Guys Said 2

• I would say trust your instinct and not date this man. The religious difference is significant and it could potentially mean a lot of heartache for both of you. I wish you could find this guy a nice Muslim girl to date and find yourself a nice Christian guy. Then you guys could be friends without the romantic overtone. I would back way off until you both have someone easier to date.

• It depends on the guy, but I do see where he's coming from.

If I were in his position, I'd do the same thing.

Just go into it knowing it may not last, but just aiming to experience yourselves.

How is this any different from any other relationship - a large majority finish at some point in time.

No need to stress.

He sounds a little needy though - "I won't ever leave you.".

What Girls Said 0