Would you be in a relationship with a deaf person? Or blind person?

please don't even ask me how my mind got on deaf people. I tried to remember, but I can't concentrate right now. But I started looking at deaf people forums and stuff. My mind wanders and I do weird sh*t like this. In any case, I'm asking all the people who can see and hear well, would you date a deaf person or a "hard of hearing" person? (I think hard of hearing means almost deaf, but not quite there yet. I believe many of them do eventually go completely deaf though)

And I just figured, while I'm at it, why not ask about blind people as well. Would you date a blind person?

Explain why or why not, please. :)

Oh, and if you're deaf or hard of hearing (or blind...if that's even possible O.o) please say so and give your input about dating other deaf/blind people or dating people who can hear and see. Or dating in general as a deaf person.

I'm suddenly (probably temporarily, I admit) really fascinated by deaf people and deaf culture.

Most Helpful Guy

• Knew someone who signed for the deaf (things like ER, or serving on a jury), met several. Went out with a couple of deaf, a bit tricky since I don't sign, so little notes, made life interesting, to say the least, because you have the same issues in dating plus one more.

I dated several blind gals, as for a year my roommate was blind. You learn not to move stuff around or throw things on the floor. I had one corner to throw junk, she just didn't go there. But food need to be in the same spot, we were friends, several of her friends I dated as well. One plus of having her as a roommate, I didn't worry about changing anyplace. She said I to warn her if she was taking a shower, that got lose as well.

Just the normal issues of dating with a wrinkle added. For example, you go to a movie and they are blind, try to sit away from others, so you can whisper what is happening. Couple of times when theater was crowded, we explained to people sitting near us, so they would understand, most did. Films with subtitles are best if she is deaf.

As others say, you are dealing with people who have feelings, just have other ways of having to deal with life.

Enjoy it, be a good and cool date :)

What Guys Said 5

• I wouldn't have any problem with it.

• my voice and looks are kind-of some of my good qualities, so I'd prefer not. But then, if she's good in bed and attractive, sure. We're both blind when the lights go out anyway...

• lol I would date people that are blind or deaf.I don't see anything wrong with it.I mean they are still people.They still have feelings.I don't see anything wrong with it.I would date anyone no matter their race choice of religion hair color.People are still people.

• I would give it a shot and see how it works out.

• I wouldn't have a problem with either.

What Girls Said 6

• I would go out with a deaf person. I wouldn't mind so much, especially since I sign. Wouldn't mind dating a blind person either. It may be tricky dating either one but it's not much different than dating a person who also fully hearing or fully seeing. We all have different aspects of ourselves and we shouldn't change it.

• I realize this post is a little outdated, but I can't resist offering my 2-cents, so here goes..

I have been in a relationship with a wonderful, intelligent, funny, and handsome boy for almost 4 years now, and he is legally blind, as in he has no vision in one of his eyes, and very little in his other. He also has Type one Diabetes. It's been hard, but we deal.

We are both 17. Meaning, we started dating at the age of 14, if you could call it that--for it was more of a bond than anything else, a way to hold on to each other. He would tell me even before then that he loved me, that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, that if it were up to him, he would never let me go; and he still tells me that. We tell each other we love each other several times a day, every day. Before him, I had a hard time believing love existed for me. I certaintly did not believe in such a thing as "soul mates." But now we are engaged, and I couldn't be happier. I know, I know..*engaged at 17.* He is my best friend before anything, and then the love of my life after that. We see movies together, cook together, play boardgames, go bicycle riding together. We share the same political and religious beliefs. Our love outweighs any typical teenage romance, and I sincerely mean that: to map out your entire future with someone else before even the subject of dating comes up. That means you don't need a name for it--you just know that you were made for that person. And another thing--we've been together for 4 years and the subject of sex hasn't even come up. That's love. And I'm glad it's that way! We are romanticaly attracted to one another, while at the same time we realize that we're best friends before anything. We're in this together.

People can say they wouldn't date someone if they were blind, deaf, etc., but in the end it really counts on how much you love that person. Then after that, love really is blind..but in a good way! (And I see the irony in that remark, BTW.) So that is my answer. :-)

• Yup. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as we like each other and respect each other I would keep the relationship. If he is a good person and a very loving one. I'll probably marry him.

• Either would be fine. I'd particularly like a deaf person...love to be able to communicate in sign with someone. And when people speak...they often muck things up. And I like quiet.

• So I guess I'm going to be the first negative answerer lol Oh well :)

I won't at all rule it out as a possibility, but I think your willingness to date deaf people depends on your personality and culture. I'm a talker. I love to talk, I talk a lot, I love having conversations, conversations that I really can't see myself having with a deaf person without having extensive knowledge of ASL. I can't have in depth conversations about the topics I enjoy or any topic really by writing notes. That would take forever. In some conversations, it takes people a little bit to even digest what the other person is saying when they CAN hear you. If they cant, I feel like the point is missed and the conversation suffers. Then they feel left out, especially if you're having said conversation in a group setting. I don't want anyone to feel left out, but I'm also not going to cut off a great conversation because you can't hear. It may sound mean, but its definitely something to think about for a person like me, who loves to talk and have conversations about politics, philosophy, etc. And can you really run to the computer to type all the time? That's one reason I love talking to people face to face, talking to a computer screen or texting doesn't always have the same engagement or effect. I know some deaf people can read lips, but again, if you're not exposed to the type of vocabulary or language being used, how would you understand what I'm saying? Then I have to try to explain philosophical, political, economic theories to you in sign language? That seems really f***ing hard and kind of a burden. I don't know if I have the patience for that, to be honest.

Secondly, there are issues with sex. Sex is really important to me and I think my sex life would suffer with a deaf person. I'm sure there are ways to have a great sex life with a deaf person, but again, I talk a lot during sex too. I'd imagine it would be slightly distracting if you had to read my lips the whole time. And am I supposed to stop and sign to you in the middle of sex? And if you can't hear or see me you will not be handcuffing me or tying me up or anything of that nature. Hell no.

And finally, but probably most important, if we did get very serious and decide to have a family...there would be serious problems. I do not want deaf children. I don't even want to risk having a deaf child. Obviously, many deaf children are born to two hearing parents, but it's obvous that if the person was born deaf or had some genetic predisposition to being susceptible to becoming deaf as they got older, that would impact the chances of my kid being deaf. I want my children to be able to experience life without any serious physical abnormality or disability. If it happens, nothing I can do but love them, but I don't think I would ever willfully put my child at risk for those odds. Blind is worse.

Having said that lol, I'm definitely open to trying it, but for me there are some definite concerns and issues. Just my $0.02.

• I would consider dating a deaf person, would be an adjustment but I have an open mind. I could not be comfortable dating a blind person. I'm almost legally blind myself (will be legally blind at some point according to my doctors) so that would cause more issues. I already need some extra considerations and if there's two of us that can't see, I just don't know how it could work out.