Can a guy really like a girl but not be ready to date seriously?

If he was in a serious relationship for 3 years and it ended not that long ago ( around 6 months ) could he really not be ready or is he letting me down easy. He says things like " when I'm ready you will be the first to know" and " I like you but I hope you understand I'm not ready right now, but you are not wasting your time with me". We've never done anything sexual. We went out once and he said he really enjoyed it and wants to again, he also says he thinks we have a connection. We really do. He's a great guy, he hasn't dated or slept with anyone since his break up. He just golfs everyday and I see him at work. At work he always says hi and I catch him looking at me a lot, I can tell by the way he looks at me he likes me. I really like him, does he seem genuine and does it seem like something I should wait for?

Most Helpful Girl

• It could be he wants to keep you around as an option or he really is just getting over his relationship. When people get out of long relationships or what is long to them they tend to want their space and to get over their ex as well as enjoy their freedom. So it isn't odd to mi that he doesn't want to date right away. ^_^ hope it helps.

What Guys Said 2

• You bet. If he had a rough time with the ex it might be quite a while before he'd be able to relate to someone new; maybe more than six months. See if he will talk about the break-up with you, or find out the details from friends if he doesn't want to discuss it with you.

• Personally it sounds weird to me, but I've never been in a 3 year relationship so don't take my word for it. If you like him, it's worth waiting for

What Girls Said 2

• kind of can relate to this so what I'm doing ; taking it damn slow an not hinting or bringing up a relationship, first establishing a good friendship and then taking it from there if were meant to be in due time he and I will both realise, Things are never good when they are rushed so take things slow.

• i think its a good thing because he's not jumping right in and using you for rebound instead he admits he feels something for you and he wants to wait till the time is right when he is fully over the 3 year r. and then be in it with you for real

• It seems like a good thing, he said almost the same thing. He said if he can't be 100% it isn't fair to me. How do I know he isn't giving me a run around, and how can you be friends with someone you like so much while waiting for them to be ready for you at the same time?