Would you stop dating?

Would you stop dating someone,if your family did not like them as well as your friends? Would you choose your boyfriend/girlfriend over your friends and family? or would it have to depend on the circumstances.

Most Helpful Guy

• If your friends and family all don't like a guy, they are picking up on something that you either don't, can't, won't or refuse to see. It is worth hearing their concerns. They may help to open your eyes. Don't let them dictate to you who they think 'is suitable' to their tastes. At the same time, their concerns may just save you some heartache or possibly much worse down the road.

You have the final decision, but try to consider all angles and opinions.

What Guys Said 10

• If my family or friends did not like them it's their problem, not mine. They can choose to still associate with me or not. I don't see it as choosing between anyone. The person making the ultimatum is choosing for me.

• It depends. However, if all of my friends and family didn't like her, I start evaluation my situation because clearly I'm missing something. I wouldn't break up with her just on the sole fact that she isn't liked by my friends and family, instead if I broke up with her, it would be because I came to the realization that there was bad flaw, whom my friends and family picked up on before me.

For instance, if they don't like her because she blond, I'll tell them to take a hike, but if they don't like her because they feel she isn't a good match, I might evaluate their opinions since so many people share it. Just common sense would show that they are most likely right. If I came to find that they were actually right (which would usually be the case), then I might reconsider my relationship status.

• no chance..

if any of my friends would dislike me because of who I''m dating then they are not really friends at all are they? that's beyond shallow.

family you are stuck with them no matter what, who cares what they think..

if I am happy in a relationship and she is happy then screw everybody else it's none of their damn business.

• I agree with the first part. I don't think any of my friends are that shallow.

I think my family are pretty open minded.

• Nah, I do my own thing. Even make my own mistakes.

• but what if they were just looking out for you?

• When you are 8 to 25 years old, you will think you know the world (I did). It is only after you are older, life has kicked your butt around, and you have learned some painful lessons, you realize 'oh yeah, I guess I didn't quite know everything.' It happened to me around 22. My old man wasn't as stupid as I thought he was.

• well I'm 44 and I agree with you. Learning the painful lessons and things the hard way probably helped me in the long run. But then my old man wasn't always right either lol.

@QA they probably were, but if they shelter you from making mistakes, you don't learn to lookout for yourself. It would be like only reading a book on a sport then expecting the first time you play it to be a champion. It takes practice too.

• I think it would have to depend on why they don't like them and how long our relationship has been going on for.

• if the suspicion was cheating and you asked your girlfriend and she denied it but your family and friends believe she did wouldn't you most likely believe your friends and family

• it's hard to say. I would have to ask them if it's first hand knowledge or if they heard it from a friend of a friend. Where I live rumors can start from the smallest thing and if you think the rumor has died down it can pop back up years later. So I would have to investigate the issue but without invading her privacy.

• No.

I date those girls which I want to date, if my friends or family got a problem with that - they'll just have to deal with it.

• Nah. My happiness shouldn't be determined by them. Plus my mom is really religious so she pretty much would disapprove of anyone who isn't like her.

• Family? No.

Friends? Yes.

• Does your family like your BF?

• Look, if I choose to be with someone, I expect my friends and family to respect that choice, and that means respecting and accepting the person I'm with.

What Girls Said 4

• I completely trust the judgement of my family and friends, so if they didn't like they guy that I was dating, I'd really consider why they didn't like him and it would probably be for good reason. Of course, I'd make the decision myself but it would be heavily influenced by the people closest to me. They're closest to me for a reason. I actually wouldn't start dating someone without introducing him to my closest friends and family first, and getting their approval.

• no.hm probably not.

• depends on their reasons. my family is religious and I am not really so they might not like a guy just based on religion. it is something to consider but if that was their only reason it may not stop me.

as for my friends, it depends on their reasons.

generally it is not smart to lose your family for a relationship. unless you KNOW they are being ridiculous.

• No I wouldn't stop I'd keep at it if I liked him