Dating in the 21st Century

What has this dating world come to?

You can't tell people how you really feel or act like you want to be with them because you'll come as "too clingy"

You have to act disinterested in order to make people want you. "Everyone wants what they can't have" BS.

Everything is done through text messaging and I'm chat. People don't have the cojones to speak to other people face to face anymore.

As for me, if I like (or even love) someone, I'll tell them to their face, not text them. If I want to spend time with someone, I won't make them work for it because I want to be with them. If I want to send you a text message saying "Have a nice day :)", I'm not "clingy" I just like you and I want you to know that.

What is wrong with the world?

Most Helpful Guy

• If only you were born 10-12 years earlier.

Believe it or not, there was a time you made light talk with a girl and got her phone number. You called her up and took her to a beach side restraunt. As you talked with her, you let her gaze into your eyes and sense the intensity of your presence, never being pushy, but never being withdrawn. That's how its done bro.

But yeah, now everyone wants to play Facebook games and masturbate with their cellphones. Its pretty sad.

You just have old world charm is all, and it is largely unappreciated by a socially inept generation, spoiled by technology.

I'm more of a G+ guy anyway, but truth be told that is only for my overseas friends in Asia or distant parts of U.S. -- I can't exactly walk over and talk to them without expensive plane tickets. If I want to relate to a friend, I'll go do something with them.

As I answer various questions here on GAG, I often find a lot of stuff like, "Should I message him on Facebook?" or "I got this text and its really bothering me..." Seriously, wtf?

• btw, "my overseas friends" are people I have actually met RL, either while traveling in Asia or elsewhere. :)

What Girls Said 3

• Amin ... I just entered the dating zone and I hate having to interpret and filter everything he does or says ... I hate the games and the case ad playing cats and dogs on Facebook ... "don't contact him, wait for him to message you first" or "what smile did he use and why" it's all boloks. However I do this because I got really burned a few years back for going over to the guy that I liked and told him what I wanted ... apparently he had no cojones to man up to the situation but ran away scared.

I hate what technology does to nowadays conversation as well.

• technology is killing real communication, it's really sad

• If everyone thinks your clingy, then you're clingy. People want their partner to have other things going on besides liking them.clingy people come off like they've been waiting for you all their lives and that's unattractive.

What Guys Said 3

• I tend to use technology to fob people I don't want in my life.

I really believe that technology had degraded basic social skills and made people less interesting. I used to have terrible social skills, but that improved and I'm much smarter than my friends and colleagues. 90% of social discourse is body language and technology can only make up about 1% (2% if you use smileys). So many things can get taken out of context that fights and breakups are frequent. I have over a 100 "friends" on FB, but I only consider a few of them as friends while the rest are acquaintances. That's nothing compared to some people on my friends list with 9348759 friends.

What I really dislike about FB is that I might as well be reading someone's mind involuntary. Nothing compares to planning a day out on FB; people are more argumentative on what to do, vicious insults, plans get changed 5X while discussing on chat and generally the final result is a boring day at the shopping mall. Before FB, we had mobile phones and before mobile phones we had pubs or some other place of gathering while meeting and making new friends.

• I wish people from the 19th century would get with the program myself.

• Yes, things are dysfunctional. All this technology drives people away from genuine connection and gives people more opportunity to compare to what they don't have, and even cheat. That's why I like girls that aren't obsessed with twitter and Facebook.