Would you ever date a blind and/or deaf person? if no...why?

yes as stated above or do you think the communication barrier would be too hard to overcome?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some really shallow comments on here!

So..I realize this post is a little outdated, but I can't resist offering my 2-cents, so here goes..

I have been in a relationship with a wonderful, intelligent, funny, and handsome boy for almost 4 years now, and he is legally blind, as in he has no vision in one of his eyes, and very little in his other. He also has Type one Diabetes. It's been hard, but we deal.

We are both 17. Meaning, we started dating at the age of 14, if you could call it that--for it was more of a bond than anything else, a way to hold on to each other. He would tell me even before then that he loved me, that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, that if it were up to him, he would never let me go; and he still tells me that. We tell each other we love each other several times a day, every day. Before him, I had a hard time believing love existed for me. I certaintly did not believe in such a thing as "soul mates." But now we are engaged, and I couldn't be happier. I know, I know..*engaged at 17.* He is my best friend before anything, and then the love of my life after that. We see movies together, cook together, play boardgames, go bicycle riding together. We share the same political and religious beliefs. Our love outweighs any typical teenage romance, and I sincerely mean that: to map out your entire future with someone else before even the subject of dating comes up. That means you don't need a name for it--you just know that you were made for that person. And another thing--we've been together for 4 years and the subject of sex hasn't even come up. That's love. And I'm glad it's that way! We are romanticaly attracted to one another, while at the same time we realize that we're best friends before anything. We're in this together.

People can say they wouldn't date someone if they were blind, deaf, etc., but in the end it really counts on how much you love that person. Then after that, love really is blind..but in a good way! (And I see the irony in that remark, BTW.) So that is my answer. :-)

• I like your answer and you are very sensitive. Good luck with you and your man. Hope it lasts forever.

• I shed a tear reading this. Sometimes I get reminded that there are some good people in this world.

• Thanks for the opinion, even though it's not my question

What Girls Said 9

• Sure! If he's blind, I'd be less self conscious about wearing makeup around him lol. And I'm learning sign language right now (it's a cool language!) and I'd love to have someone to use it with. :)

So neither blindness nor deafness would be a problem for me!

• This sounds really bad, but no I wouldnt...i already have a really low self esteem and love to be called beautiful by my guy and if that were out of thequestion wiht who I was dating, I don't think id be able to manage it. And I tried learning sign language and just couldn't do it...

• Deaf, unfortunately not me personally. Only because I'm a very communicative person and I don't know that I have the full time commitment to learn sign language. (if you already know it that's a plus) blind, possibly, because the intamacy can still happen with touch, but that's a really hard question. I guess if I knew them before and had a close relationship I wouldn't see a problem. Meeting someone knew would be tough though.

• I would, I have not really met anyone who is deaf or blind but if we had fun together I would. I am not opposed to the idea.

• Dating blind people is for really really ugly people ha ha I'm sorry I had to say it. And *maybe* a deaf person or if they can get some kind of hearing aid that helps a little to where you have to say stuff right up to their ear (I saw this in that awful movie "Orphan") than probably.

• Said the person with a hideous personality. Your shallow and insensitive remark makes me want to vomit. And no..you didn't *have* to say it. Although, at the same time I know that what your saying is the opposite of true. I am engaged to someone who is legally blind, as in, he has no vision in one of his eyes and very little in the other, but it's because we are in love, not because I'm "ugly." Sorry, nice try but I am the opposite of ugly. And he tells me I'm beautiful everyday

• I would never turn down the option before I knew what it was like. I would try, yeah.

If I fell in love with them before they were blind or deaf, absolutely yes.

• If I fell in love with them before they became blind/deaf then yes.

If I met them at that stage and fell in love with them, I don't think I'll have any qualms dating them

• yes I would

• I probably would not date someone that is blind, but I would date someone who is deaf... I just wouldn't want an interpreter following us around X)

What Guys Said 3

• I would not date a blind girl unless I knew her for a long time and we were good friends that got along great. I wouldn't mind dating a deaf girl at all though.

• I would date a Blind girl, the mental strength behind being blind is incredible.

• Deaf. You can close your eyes for the sign language complaints.