The Status. Oh I'm Dating...Oh She's my GF...in a relationship? please help clear this up.

Alright, so things have rapidly changed over the years..(obviously).

However I'm slightly confuzzled as to the "dating" status and the "in a relationship" status.

I've always thought of "Dating" as a trial run, like oh, let's date..let's go on a date.. you know to test out if a relationship between us is possible.. then maybe it can turn into a relationship.

However, I have noticed, that my school friends don't exactly share the same view; my friends and school mates who first go on dates, and say that they're dating already refer to each other as boyfriend and girlfriend... erm so dating is not for testing if a relationship is possible if you already refer to the other as your boyfriend or gf?

I'm somewhat confused. Maybe it's cause the younger generation these days are more desperate? I'm not so sure... so am I correct in thinking that "Dating" is for trying to see if a relationship is possible (or at least the initial stages), and that "In a Relationship" is a step after dating?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this, and of my friends calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend immediately when they decide to start dating...

Thanks for any replies! Please also rate this question :) Have a great day ^^

Most Helpful Girl

• 'We are dating' is a general term to say, 'we like each other, we're interested to see where this could go, but we're only testing the waters, we are not committed to each other and we are free to date others as well'.

In a relationship, BF, Girlfriend = we are committed to each other and we are no longer seeing other people.

What Girls Said 3

• This confuses me as well! The guy I'm "dating" right now is the first guy I've really dated. High school is so different, you just get together and are bf/gf. Though we are both not dating other people, and it feels like we are a couple lol. But like someone said below, when you're older it becomes something you talk about and figure out that you're together. Also as a side note, make your intentions somewhat known! So that way they won't think you're okay with a friends for benefit thing.

• I see this the same way as you do. If I say I'm dating, or dating someone in particular, I mean that I'm spending time with one (or more than one) guy. Just getting to know the person(s) and see where it goes from there.

If I call a guy my boyfriend or say I'm in a relationship, I'm committed to him and he's the only one I want to be with.

• I always thought the same as you... and you can be 'dating' different people at the same time without it being considered cheating, because you are not in a relationship with anyone. It is all trials.

I always figured a relationship or having a girlfriend/boyfriend was once you decided they were the one you were going to choose and see exclusively. Doesnt mean they are 'the one' forever, but for the time being they are.

What Guys Said 3

• Interesting point, but when I was dating a girl, I never referred to her as Girlfriend until we both talked about it and decided to be in a relationship, so your friends might be alone on that one but they do have a point. Most people when people are dating they aren't seeing anyone else so its almost like your going out any way.

• Yeah, I've noticed this too. I avoid the word "dating" and "girlfriend" until something is actually specified, like "I want you to know, I'm not interested in seeing other people. I'm hoping that you feel the same way." you know, one of those conversations.

I use the word "seeing" to describe the stage if there's sex involved use the words "getting to know" do imply that we're going on dates, or otherwise choosing to spend time together to get to know each-other.

• well boyfriend and girlfriend are both titles IMO

a relationship can be used just like dating but is more of a term like you are currently dating them

dating is more or less a verb because it is the action of having a relationship with someone

and also dating can be used in more that one way