Best way to deflect a guy's advances and not be awkward?

I'm a little bit awkward when it comes to flirting and dating. I've never dated before. I love to dress slutty on Halloween though, and now being in college and going out to parties, I get guys hitting on me even when I'm dressed normally. Any advice for ways to stay smooth and calm but let a guy know I'm not looking for anything?

Most Helpful Guy

• Be straight forward. I have been turned down many times, had tons of bs excuses, and heard everything from "you're not my type" to "I have mace in my purse" I think the best way I have been turned down is a simple "sorry but I don't want to get involved with anyone" She looked me in the eye and was sincere. She would flirt back and be nice but not in a leading me on kind of way. She was straight forward. Don't worry about hurting guys feelings, we get turned down a lot, but we also have fragile egos so don't do it in a way that makes us feel unattractive, and you can do that by just being nice.

• this man speaks for us all, do not listen to the other driblers and drop a boyfriend bomb that's the 2nd worst line you could throw at us cause its already being used by most girls and guys already know half the time its said, they don't mean it. "Sorry but I don't want to get involved with anyone" is the best thing you can say, because if it a gives the message out and clear, and b gives the guy the opportunity to still pursue you but not as straight forward, whereas the boyfriend thing confuses us.

What Guys Said 3

• As the guy below said, be honest. So often, women try to "be too nice" when they really do not mean it towards a guy's advances. This ends up confusing the guy in the long run.. Honesty really is the best policy. Tell the guy(s), straight up, you're there to have fun with your friends and nothing else. They may not like it, but will sure as hell respect you for it.

• Why are you going out if you don't want attention?

• just drop the boyfriend bomb. say something like "my boyfriend and i... blah blah blah". He should get the hint.

What Girls Said 2

• Dont respond to his flirts. Don't flirt back or meet him on his level. Talk about your boyfriend. Tell him you aren't interested.

• If you're not looking for anything, then you would dress conservatively. The way you dress, talk and move signals to a guy that you're looking for action. If you're not looking for action, DON'T engage them in conversation or use provocative body language, wear revealing clothing, etc.

• Sometimes people like to dress provocatively because it makes them feel good to know they look good to others, regardless of whether or not they're looking for direct attention. I appreciate the judgment, though.

• Looking GOOD and dressing provocatively are not the same thing. Girls who dress a certain way are simply asking for troublesome attention JUST so they have something to complain/brag about.

• Ditto on the judgement, by the way.