Define dating for me.

I was talking to a co-worker of mine the other day, and he was telling me about these two girls that he's interested in. He was talking about the pros and cons of each one, and he said he was unsure of which one he wanted to date.

My solution was that he date both.

I explained that it was alright to go on dates with multiple people so long as both parties were aware that it was casual and that they didn't have a serious relationship yet.

He was absolutely appalled and said that what I'd suggested was completely wrong (even though that's basically what he's been doing anyway...)

Anyway, my question is basically this:

Is my idea of "dating" wrong? I mean, is it okay to casually keep your options open so long as you are just "seeing each other" or just "talking" and not boyfriend/girlfriend or anything serious? Or should you only be open to one person at a time, even if you aren't sure how serious you want to be with this person?

For further example, notice that in the categories on GAG, "dating" and "relationships" are two different options. Wouldn't this mean there's a big difference between the two?

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess it depends on what people define dating as.

Some people use the term dating to mean relationship. Oh suchandsuch and I are dating - meaning, they're in a realtionship. They're together.

Whereas suchandsuch and I went on a date - means they went out on a date.

So yeah people can easily get those terms mixed up because they're thrown around in so many different ways. But basically I agree with what you say - going on dates, you're not exclusive. You're not committed. As far as I'm concerned, you're neither of those things until you talk about it with whoever and agree to it. So it's perfectly fine to go on dates with multiple people in the same time frame.

What Guys Said 1

• The difference between dating and relationship is commitment.

• Hmm... That doesn't answer my question very much, sir. But thanks anyway!

What Girls Said 1

• The difference between a relationship and dating is being official. When you re in a relationship people know you re together but when you re dating you are going out and getting to know each other and not quite sure if you want to be together or not just yet I guess.

To me keeping your options open is for people who do not get attached easily or maybe for those who do get attached easily as a way to prevent them from falling for the person they re dating I don't know, to each their own.

when I was in my early 20s, I used to date more than one guy at once naturally without even realizing it, but then as I get older I cannot really focus on more than one person anymore cause am a romantic.