Mother's wedding is this weekend, just got dumped, need a date...

Should I ask an ex?

A co-worker who'd appreciate the open bar?

A friend?

I'm not going alone...

Found the perfect date to her wedding...

The youngest son of ex-husband #3...

Most Helpful Girl

• Hey dear, wish this was an easy answer, no sense in going with an Ex because yo are no longer a couple. I'd ask a female friend who maybe even knows your Mother, and enjoy the party together, have a bunch of drinks, dance, and forget about your ex's for the night. I wish you the best.

Claire

What Guys Said 16

• Go with a friend that you could have fun with. Open bar? weddings are so much fun. It's actually better that your not tied down to a date.

• Weddings are a good hunting ground for single people, so many friends of family members that will make people more comfortable vs. approaching a random.

I would take a female companion to enjoy the open bar with, and go hunting for men.

Make sure she's already "taken" so she isn't competition for the men! ;-)

• almost everyone at the wedding with have 15 or more years on me

• In that case...then I say bring along a male friend you think is cute and will be fun. You never know where things may lead, Bet. :)

• Friend or co-worker. An ex would be just awkward. I'd strongly discourage it. You don't need a romantic interest to bring to someone else's wedding. I've walked 5 different girls down the isle, and I wasn't getting married to any of them. I was on the bridle party and needed a counter part. I wasn't romantically interested in them either. Find someone cool and take them.

• A friend is always a solid choice on short notice.

• Don't ask an ex...are you trying to kill them emotionally?

Try anyone except your ex.

And why do you have to have a date?

• I'm not sitting through that without someone to make comments too..

and the potential for fun after the meal...

Not many young people will be there.. so it's not like I'll be able to find guys my age to dance with...

• Wheres it ay..ill go ;) f*** the ex..no...no to the co worker because then he;l think you actually want him..Im sure there's a guy you could ask.

• if you have a guy friend that you know are just friends you could invite him. He would probably like it cause of the drinks and free food he'll get. plus if you guys normally have fun together he probably wouldn't mind.

• I would ask a guy that you think will be fun to go with. Only concern is, will the guy try to have sex with you, cause Weddings can lead to that stuff.

• That depends, if you're looking to hook up afterward, I'd go for an ex who isn't gonna think you're getting back together just cause you took him to a wedding and hooked up afterward, if not then a friend.

• I just read my own comment out loud and I sound like a remedial... I don't know why I repeated afterward twice...

• I'd like to be able to hook-up if that's how I'm feeling...

that is why I was thinking an ex.. but I have some friends I've hooked up with in the past..

• then I'd go with whoever could dance better :p

• Why don't you want to go alone?

• Just go alone, it's no big deal.

• What about a friend of a friend.

• Wait! This is your mother's 4th husband?! Why do her marriages keep failing?

• 1st (my dad) she never wanted to get married (got preggers with me) didn't want to be a mother.. and she ran off...

2nd fell apart after my dad died, and I moved in...

3rd 2 of his sons never liked her.. she was spending money faster then he was making it.. and she had a guy on the side...

• oh OK. I'm sorry about your dad.

• First off it's not mother its mom.

• No, it isn't. She is my mother.. she has never been my "mom"

• Depends where you come from...where I come from it's 'mum' Not 'mom' cause I'm not A-merican...

But, end of the day, it's her mother, she can call her what she wants... mother, mom, mum, muter, mam, etc

• I'll go with you Bethany.

• How is this down voted?

• Nothing wrong with asking a friend.

What Girls Said 3

• I'd ask a friend if you don't wanna go alone. An ex is a bad option. But why not go alone? Nothing wrong with that. You could get to know new people. Unless you know there won't be many people around your age.

Asking an ex to a wedding, that's a bad idea. He'll get the idea you want him back. The coworker might think you're into him. Best thing is to ask a friend.

• Pick someone who you know you'll have fun with. I got invited to a wedding because my friend was the maid of honor, but otherwise I barely knew anyone there. So I invited my best guy friend, since we always have fun together and he's also pretty good at ballroom dancing.

Or you can go by yourself. I read somewhere that single guys like to meet girls at weddings.

• How desperate are you? Be mature and go alone, perhaps you even find someone there.

• Not really looking to pick up guys in the 40-60 bracket.. thanks.

• So I'm not bored.. so I have someone to dance with.. to keep the old guys away...

• Doesn't necessarily have to be a "date" you could always take a friend, who is REALLY your friend, not just some co-worker who might get the wrong impression. Otherwise you seem desperate.