Do men prefer to date girls with a status symbol job? Like pageants, modeling, etc.?

When my boyfriend and I went on a break, he took this girl who does beauty pageants to a few of his college events as a date. She's a pretty girl, don't get me wrong. But she only looks stunning when she's all done up with the fake tan, bleached blond hair, makeup, and professional photography. I know her personally, and outside of that she reminds me of Regina from Mean Girls. Stuck up and air-headish.She is, however, skinny, pretty, and a beauty pageant star.

I'm considered very attractive by most. Above average, but I'm not beauty pageant girl. Just never my thing. I dress up like a girlie girl, but I spent more time getting my degree and working out for myself than I did getting spray tans for my next photoshoot. My boyfriend and I are back together now, and I know from my boyfriend's relationship history that he's had the strongest emotional connection with me than any other girl. He tells me how beautiful I am all the time, and can't keep his hands off me in bed together.

My problem is, I can't get over thinking he sees this beauty pageant girl as being better than me. Higher status maybe because of her looks and pageants, even though a lot would say we're equal in attractiveness when she's not dressed up for a show. He never talks about her, but when I've made comments in the past about her pictures with tons of guys (she has a new date for her sorority parties every weekend, and she's always hanging all over them drunk), he comes to her defense and says that he thinks she's a virgin or something. Besides that, he's never commented about wanting to date her or thinking she's attractive.

What do you guys think? Is he settling for me because she's a pretty loose canon and he didn't think he could keep her? Or does he really value me as the whole package more?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that either way he is with you now. You need to try and not be jelous or vengeful. If he is not bringing her up, then you shouldn't either. Don't comment on her pictures, or call her a slut, just leave it be. If you take him back as your boyfriend, then you are taking him and everything he has done in the past. I know its not easy, but you either have to live with it quietly or break up with him again. Otherwise it will lead to you being jelous, him getting angry, and everything will become a mess.

What Guys Said 8

• The only reasons I would care what kind of job my girlfriend had is if it took up most of her "free time" (like having to travel for work a lot), or if it was dangerous to her or exposed her to problems with other guys.

Beyond that, what she does for a living doesn't mean anything to me, as long as she is happy with it and it can support her lifestyle.

• Why are you such a hater? Let her be.

To answer your question, no. I really don't care as long as she doesn't expect me to carry the load and make her life more glamorous than what she actually works for (I refuse to be a sugar daddy in any way shape or form).

• You might be a hater too if your girlfriend dated a pro-athlete or something while you two were on a break.

• I really don't care. I'm dating the girl, not her job.

• That doesn't sound like me...at all...o.O

• The modelling per se isn't a big deal. But a model is incredibly desirable to date due to the hotness factor. But yeah, if a non-model is equally hot or hotter, that pretty much kills the advantage.

And if your guy thinks she's a virgin, than I guess we know he didn't get it in her. Sounds like you don't have much to worry about.

• i only date rich girls lol jk. status doesn't mean much or anything

• your insecurity and jealousy is unattractive.

• your job makes no difference unless you're a little older and working at a loser job like walmart or McDonald's.

• Well she's in college, so it's not technically her job. She takes a few weeks off every year to go to this pageant. I have a great job. I guess I was wondering if men gravitate toward women who receive public recognition for their looks: like a beauty pageant or model. Even if she's no more pretty (without the fake stuff) than most girls out there.

• I sure for some guys it is an ego boost to say they dated ms california or a playboy playmate. but based on what you said I would guess he's with you because he likes you. if he liked her more and reveled in dating someone with a status he'd stay with them. From what you've said there doesn't seem to be enough clues to justify the paranoia.

What Girls Said 4

• Some guys do. Some men want arm candy, some men want life partners. To each their own.

This specific situation is about you, though. It isn't him. It sounds like you're doubting your boyfriend and that this girl is making you really insecure... Because you're saying that he doesn't talk about her, but you still doubt him.

Do you think that he values you? It really comes down to your perception & self-worth.

• Why are you turning this into a competition?

He has eyes and no relationship will change that he's going to think other women are attractive or dating material. But he's with YOU.

You can make all of the excuses in the world for why he isn't with her, or she plasters makeup on herself or acts like a character out of a movie but it doesn't change that he's with you and that she may very well be attractive.

You're making this a competition, not him.

• are you really that insecure? he's with you, stop hating on her. if anything she should be jealous of you if she really liked him. no matter how pretty I may be, if a man I dated wasn't serious about me but was serious about another girl, I'm hating her even if I make her look like an ugly slug.

• YES, they do, guys are all about status.