Do you take dating profiles seriously?

I personally assume they're a joke, and that the person doesn't resemble their profile in any way. The profile might not have outright lies in it, but important, vital, soul defining information is left out!

Most Helpful Guy

• The amount of fake profiles here on gag ALONE is laughably high. This isn't a guess too, I've literally encountered like, at least 10 questions featuring a surprisingly egotistical poster who brags about how many girls/guys they have gotten and point to their profile picture. All it takes is a quick one minute reverse image search and their entire argument is disarmed and they are left stumbling for words.

I've honestly seen like, eight out of ten of them conveniently delete their account after having been made a fool of. It's one thing to lie about your looks, and it's another to lie about your looks, and BRAG about the lie.

• haven't seen that here. mh. I'll be cautious

• i found your suggestion is quite interesting. I would like to try it but I get lost about how to upload the "suspected" pictures. should I save the pictures first in my computer? thanks.

• Yeah, gotta save it first.

What Girls Said 6

• When I was online dating I was pretty skeptical about what some people posted on their profile. I would always ask lots of questions and go back and forth with the person for a while to see if they were really who they said they were.

I definitely had my fair share of people who came out to be completely different than what they said.

For example, this one guy had posted a few pictures and he was quite handsome, probably only a few years older then me and quite active. Well, the guy wanted to go on cam one day so we did and he tried to hide himself (Big red flag)!. So I told him that I was upset with him for lying to me about who he was, he said he studied zoology (which I became really skeptical about). Once he finally showed his face he as not at all the person in the pictures, to which I challenged him. Because I told him that he was an idiot for lying and stopped talking to him. He was really creeping me out. The pictures weren't even him and he didn't even work or go to school.

Anyway, that's my horror story. I'm sure other people have dealt with similar things.

When I was online I always told people exactly how I was. Because I wanted to find someone who was compatible with me and not someone who liked the illusion of what I said I was online. I posted real pictures and was very upfront about stuff with people that might turn them off. Of course the whole process took a long time for me (about 8 months). I ended up finding my current boyfriend who I have been dating for 2 years.

• Semi-seriously. The same goes for how people act the first three months you date them, as well. Everyone is on their best behavior. Most people are only mildly aware of their biggest flaws and negative behavioral traits, online and in the real world.

• I've been told a bunch of times by guys I met on dating sites that I portrayed myself extremely well

However I've been on a bunch where the guys didn't at all... Ie- surprise Lola I'm gothic!

And I must agree as a woman who is 5/8 in flats and 6 foot in heels I know for a fact when a guy who is 5/9 says he's 6 foot... Not impressed

Also since when has average meant 25 pounds overweight and chunky?

• it is fun to wait and see who you will meet and be friends on dating sites. but, I really can't understand what the "fake" profiles are looking for on those sites.

• lol, hell no!

It's someone's edited version of themself. You can never fully trust someone's "full online version of themself". It's so easy to leave out crucial details.

• One thing for sure most guys will lie about their height I've met 3 each of them were shorter than what they said their height was.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't use online dating.

The guy I know who does the most, his profile is pretty real. Interestingly he asks the girls out for a drink or coffee in message -one-. His view is that a lot of girls (and probably guys) are flakes looking for attention. If their profile is fake they're not in a big hurry to meet in person.

• Its easy to pick out the real profiles. I can tell who is legit by the type of photos they post of themselves...and how detailed their profile is. I usually try to wait to ask about meeting until we've both sent about 5 emails each. First, so I can see if she seems like the person in her profile, by how she answers questions, asks questions, and writes an email. Most girls who are seriously looking for the right guy for a relationship will not be comfortable meeting unless you email them several times ( 4 or more) in a weeks time. One I met not too long ago, had met a guy online who started stalking her, to the point she started carrying a gun.

• Depends.

90% of female profiles are BORING because they are all the same.

Hi my name is ____. I study at _____ State University. I work at Friendly's and I'm studying to be a lawyer. I like to travel and play the saxophone.

How more cliche can you get?

• Naah they're full of sh*t.

• I don't use that kind of stuff.

But anyway - if girls can Photoshop the hell out of their pictures, distorting the reality, then what kind of effort it takes to type something there, in comparison?