Why do Europeans kiss both cheeks?

When greeting someone or bidding farewell, I often see Eurpoeans kissing both of someone's cheeks. What is the significance of that?

0|0
8|8

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a custom that goes back to the Romans. I guess it means we Italians still rule the world.

0|1
    0|1

What Girls Said 8

• I think it's the same as why people in North America, the UK, Australia, and other English speaking countries shake hands with people as a greeting/farewell. It's a cultural tradition.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's just a traditional greeting thing. Some countries do one kiss, two, or even three.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am from north of Europe and we do not have this custom to kiss both cheeks. We on the other hand give big bear hugs instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the country France kisses on both cheeks Spain does 3 kisses total on alternating cheeks. It's just customary like shaking hands in the US.

0|0
    0|0
  • why not?

0|0
    0|0
  • persians afghans greeks turks do it too, no idea how the cultural thing started but its a sign of affection I guess.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea, we do this in Turkey too. Two cheeks, so two kisses :P It's just tradition I guess

0|0
    0|0
  • I am European & we do not all kiss on 2 cheeks the French do

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• it's a greeting.

0|0
    0|0
  • The Dutch kiss three times.

The real question is, why would you guys only do one?

0|0
    0|0
  • It's just tradition, you can google it if you want the full story.

0|0
    0|0
  • because that's how it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always thought they were searching for concealed weapons in the cheeks :O

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause there always horny

0|0
    0|0
  • It is part of their culture much how Americans like to shake hands to greet each other.

0|0
    0|0