Why do Europeans kiss both cheeks?

When greeting someone or bidding farewell, I often see Eurpoeans kissing both of someone's cheeks. What is the significance of that?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a custom that goes back to the Romans. I guess it means we Italians still rule the world.

What Girls Said 8

• I think it's the same as why people in North America, the UK, Australia, and other English speaking countries shake hands with people as a greeting/farewell. It's a cultural tradition.

• It's just a traditional greeting thing. Some countries do one kiss, two, or even three.

• I am from north of Europe and we do not have this custom to kiss both cheeks. We on the other hand give big bear hugs instead.

• It depends on the country France kisses on both cheeks Spain does 3 kisses total on alternating cheeks. It's just customary like shaking hands in the US.

• why not?

• persians afghans greeks turks do it too, no idea how the cultural thing started but its a sign of affection I guess.

• Yea, we do this in Turkey too. Two cheeks, so two kisses :P It's just tradition I guess

• I am European & we do not all kiss on 2 cheeks the French do

What Guys Said 7

• it's a greeting.

• The Dutch kiss three times.

The real question is, why would you guys only do one?

• It's just tradition, you can google it if you want the full story.

• because that's how it is.

• I always thought they were searching for concealed weapons in the cheeks :O

• Cause there always horny

• It is part of their culture much how Americans like to shake hands to greet each other.