Would it be frowned upon for a 22 year old to date an 18 year old?

There's this girl I kinda sorta like but she's quite a bit younger than me. I don't really even know why I like her really but I guess I wouldn't mind trying to date her. Is there anything wrong with that or weird about a 22 year old guy dating an 18 year old girl?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, but I will say this. I've done this myself (literally the same exact ages) and it didn't turn out well. Did it twice in a row. One I was 22 she was 18, the next girl, I was was 23 and she was 19. Both times the maturity gap eventually reared its ugly head and broke the relationship apart.

I felt like I was dating high school girls when I was about to gradate college. No to mention it forced me to always pick between her or my friends because she couldn't attend the bars with us nor could they even come to my bands shows since we usually play venues that are 21 and up.

Obviously some girls are an exception to this but I've decided to forgo the risk and just avoid dating younger girls altogether. Quite frankly even girls in their early 20's I personally believe don't usually have their sh*t together. But I'm 24 and I'm not about to date 30 year olds. I cut it off at 21. Either way, the gap between about 18 and 26 is a strange time for dating, especially now with the female mentality changing as well s their priority list. It's an age range were many people, especially women don't really know what they want or what they should want. Maybe part of them is ready to settle down, but social pressure is also telling them to be single. Maybe they aren't sure if they have time for a relationship with their career being in its infancy, even though the other part of them wants one. There is a lot of uncertainty that goes on internally during that age range that can destroy relationships. This is especially an issue with women because they've now been given more options for their lives (so to speak) than they had in the past. Now a girl has to decide what direction she wants to take with her life and that age range is where the fork in the road is. For men, our timeline is pretty much already written and has been for some time. So its bit easier for us to know exactly what it is we should be focusing on at any given age. For women, this is uncharted territory and many are still lost at sea.

If you like the girl and she seems mature enough for you, go for it. All I can say is good luck. Hopefully you'll have more luck with the younger girls than I have.

What Girls Said 14

• When I was 18 I was in a relationship with a guy who was 24. I had a bit of a hard time with my family but they're overprotective, AND the age gap is a lot larger than yours. I think you should be fine.

• Nah, I don't see why it'd be a problem. 18 is legal. My ex was 25 and I'm 18. No one (besides my father lol) had a problem with it.

• Not really that weird. but you might run into a few problems if she has and overprotective family. As long as you don't allude to Any kind of physical relationship EVER, you should be find.

• Thats not a big age gap.the only problem that will happen is if you date, you won't be able to go to a lot of clubs or bars, otherwise its quite normal

• No? The girl is legal so who cares? I'm 18 and my boyfriend just turned 27. Big deal dude.

• My mom got married when she was eighteen and my dad was twenty two. A few people raise eyebrows when I tell them, but they have been married for 24 years and counting.

4 years is not a big deal when your out of high school, I think. (if we think about high school: it's a tiny little freshmandd dating a huge scary, and persuasive senior.)

• I'm not sure if I see myself marrying this girl at least I don't right at this time, but something is interesting about her. Idk

• Nope nothing wrong with it.

• it depends if she's out of the house yet or not. while its totally legal and socially acceptable, her parents might not agree.

• na your good date her

• I'm 22 and my boyfriend is 32 :D

We really love each other, and it's our anniversary soon :D

• I don't think so.

• I don't know it depends on your personality/what's important to you. Like if it's going to be a problem she can't drink in public (assuming you're in the states) then maybe that might be weird? But if you care about her I don't think 4 years is a huge deal at all.

• go for it I was dating a 21 year old I turn 18 next month and I am a senior in high school no one had a huge problem with it at least if they did they didn't say it to my face

• im 18 and my boyfriend is 21, and were great together. were both in college so its not a big deal. I barley notice the age difference, it just depends I guess on your maturity levels

What Guys Said 2

• Well, I'm 17 and I dated a girl who was 15 and half. And people neither didn't said nothing nor pointed any fingers. Its not the best example, though.

Soo I guess you're pretty fine with it

• It's pretty fine, as long as her parents are okay with it. No worries.