What kind of dates do you want?

I consider myself a romantic guy. I love taking a girl out for a nice dinner and then going to a show, you know, really treating her right. I want to know from you girls what your best date has ever been and what kind of dream date you would like to go on. Guys, feel free to answer as well, I'd like to see how your ideas compare to mine.

So are extravagant dates just out of the question? Everyone has responded with simple is better. I'm not going to change what I like, I'll just have a harder time finding someone if no one but me likes extravagance, but when is the time for extravagant dates?
Also, just a side note, I'm not asking for advice. I'm just asking for what you personally like and don't like.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dates need not be too extravagant. For a first date, sure; but don't over do it either.

One of my favorite dates was walking on a boat marina in the cold rain, holding hands under and umbrella, and just being together. It was her favorite, too.

• One could argue that that is a rather romantic date. I must confess to not being a simple man, I like my extravagance occasionally, a wedding isn't the only place for a tux. I also have a "go big or go home" attitude, I can't stand doing things half way when it comes to a relationship or a date. So things I do usually end up being big. I have done small things and am capable of them but I find that they are best used circumstantially.

• the problem with going out of your way is that girls will think you're all show and no substance. Don't get me wrong. I've been there. I've taken some girls on a private plane ride over water and landed on an island for a waterfront dinner. Still didn't get me anywhere.

What Girls Said 6

• He invited me over to his place to cook.. and yea we did and just kept talking for hours and ate the food he cooked and dessert... it was 11 and I was thinking maybe I should go home and not intrude or something I was thinking...but he had bought me cute sleepwear including a bra I was shocked he knew my sizes LOL...but we had a night togther no sex, just talking , eating junk, being playful, we were just feeling each other not physically and couldn't stop smiling and laughing. We just lay on this comfy air bed with pillows and everything under the stars in his backyard and just stayed close and kept talking... then we made out and he kissed everywhere on my face and caressed my skin...he was loving and genuine and honest. I fell asleep on his chest and woke up in his bed inside his house with him there hugging me ..it was so cute <3...but now he's an ex...but it was the best date ever cause it was the sweetest and simplest... But I won't deny it I would love to feel taken care of and spoiled by a guy <3 Just the things he actually has to put effort into is what I appreciat

• The best ones are where you just get carry-out from somewhere and sit around watching a movie or TV show. Other dates that are fun are ones that go outside the norm. Like, for our first date my boyfriend and I went to a thrift store and chose what the other person should wear on the date and then went to dinner. That was great because we were having fun choosing ridiculous clothes for each other and forgot to be nervous. Or for our anniversary (since I rejected this idea for our first date because I didn't know him that well) we went to a castle in the middle of the forest and had a picnic there. It was really beautiful and fun to explore, though we didn't quite think through our fear of heights until we had climbed pretty high into it...

• @update: extravagant is good in moderation...I'd say only do those on special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, or Valentine's Day.

• That's fair, extravagant is expensive anyways.. heh alliteration. I like big gestures, always have. Not sure why.

• For me a great date is more about being light hearted and fun than a super serious date especially early on.

• The cutest date I've ever been on cost less than $20 and nobody has been able to top it since. My boyfriend loaded up the bed of his truck with pillows and blankets and we went and had a night out at the drive in movie theater. It was so cute and unexpected. He didn't tell me what we were doing. He just told me we were going out and to dress comfortable.

It really is a cute, simple idea. Just spending time together, cuddling and watching a good movie. Perfect night.

• If I had any drive in movie theaters around where I live I would have used that so many times by now... Wonderful date.

• I'm telling you, even if you don't have a drive in or whatever, do something simple and cute. The date, no matter what it is will ALWAYS feel more special if it seems more from the heart.

• I think the cutest date I have been one was last winter, sense I don't like eating out he made me my favorite dinner, we went for a walk while it was still snowing, he pushed me into a pile of snow and talked for a while then we went back to his apartment and made cookies and fell asleep watching movies on his couch... then we woke up to the smell of one batch of burnt cookies.

• I love romantic extravagant, it allows me to put on my best and feel like a lady.my best date ever, was this one guy owned a boat and he set up dinner, with all the trimming and we went out for a lovely spin just him me and our romantic feelings..it was kind of perfect

• See, that's the kind of thing I love doing. I see extravagant as fun, not high pressured or stressful.

• Me too! And with the right company I can have a blast..

• The key is to take someone that will only ever be the right company, that's the tricky part.

What Guys Said 1

• The un-fancy dates are the best. I think just going for a simple thing like coffee to talk a bit is the best first date. No need to waste more time if it doesn't work after that.