What do you consider semi-formal?

Have a date coming up and he said it was semi-formal. I'm used to "jeans and a nice shirt" kind of dates, so please help!

Most Helpful Girl

• Semi formal means different things to different people. But most women will likely show up in:

a) A pretty blouse and a pair of dress pants

or

b) a dress

I'll link you to some examples.

Dress:

link

link

You can't really go wrong with a Black dress. It's basic but you can dress it up with some accessories. If you aren't comfortable with wearing a dress, I would suggest a nice top and some dress pants. Then just wear a pair of heels or flats with it.

Blouse:

link

link

With a blouse or dressy top, you can wear some nice dress pants or dark pants. I would try to avoid jeans because depending on the event it may not fit the event. Dress pants or a skirt are pretty safe bets for semi formal.

Some people wear a cocktail dress, while others will wear a blouse/dressy top and pants. The important thing is that you are comfortable, because sometimes these events can be long and you don't want to have to worry about what you are wearing the whole time.

• Thank you! I have a navy blue dress that's simple but nice, I'll go with that then. My LBD is too short, or rather I'm not super comfortable in it.

What Guys Said 3

• To me, "semi-formal" translates to "business casual", so even jeans and a nice shirt can be acceptable. Where are you going and what are you doing?

This is one place that Google sent me... link The women's dress code is the bottom half. I like the middle and right-most pictures the best of those.

• Dinner and dance Christmas party in a small town community. Jeans are not acceptable in business casual where I am, I wish they were!

• Gotcha. Then I say a nice shirt and nice pair of pants or a dress.

• Thanks, I think I'll go with a dress. I've lost weight recently so my dress pants aren't the most flattering right now.

• That means dress and no jeans and shirt

• for women, I think of semi formal as something that isn't an evening gown but isn't jeans. you're being more than casual but less than formal

What Girls Said 1

• For a semi-formal datee I would wear a simple, feminine dress. Not too extravagent for semi-formal. It's best to keep it simple.

I would choose dresses like these..

link

link

link

link

Really just a classy casual dress

• Thanks! I'll go with my navy blue dress, its an infinity dress, so I'll pick a neckline similar to these.