What is your opinion on internet dating?

So I have been watch MTV's newest show called catfish. I think the show is very interesting and eye opening to many people. I can relate to show very well because I had something similar happen to me too. But does anyone think that internet dating is bad or good thing? Also what do you think about the show if you have seen it?

Most Helpful Girl

• i love that show, its entertaining and sad at the same time. The one episode where the girl pretended to be a guy as a revenge was too much and I think that rarely happens. ANd what I think its scary is that girls think they are talking to dudes and you can clearly hear its another girl on the phone with them. Anyway I think internet dating can be fun but you should be careful and not take it too seriously til you meet.

What Guys Said 7

• Internet dating is great for girls, horrible for guys. The average dating site has four times as many men as women. The odds are certainly in your favor if you live in a metro area and aren't an unrealistically picky woman. Give it a try, but just know that the super hot guys are usually players as are the really rich ones. If you can keep your standards in the ballpark, you might just find someone special.

• I can agree with you 100% and I have done internet dating I had found many bad guys and many good guys. But I found a guy that I am happy with now.

• On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog: link

• Almost completely useless for men unless you look like a male model. If you do look like a male model you probably wouldn't need to join in the first place though. For an average guy I suppose it won't hurt to make a profile but don't expect much and definitely don't make it your only method for meeting women.

As for women you will get a lot of interest. The quality of the guys might not be all that though. Its probably very good if you are in a rut or starting to get desperate though.

• It shows how much better women have it then men.

• Sounds lame.

• I mean its an opinion, pretty risky because I've had it happen to me before. I'm just glad it happend way before it go too far. I say aslong ad the person comes off legit with proof it'll workout.

• totally off topic, but you're very pretty

• lol thanks :) but what is your answer?

• no prob :), however I'm not really against online dating, only thing is, it's not for everyone...nevertheless about the show catfish, I've seen it once and it seems to be a pretty interesting show

What Girls Said 6

• Good heavens. I see the sway is a negative one. An of course, being a 'girl' my opinion won't we taken seriously.

It's not easy for a girl either and I'd chance that fining somebody worthwhile os dofficult too.

First off, I didn't sway towards air-headed , oddly successful, plastic looking males. I read profiles and messaged around looking to click. I went on a few dates, with my intent being to broaden my circle because I don't tend to look for guys when I'm out with my son or reciprocate advances and my job for the timebeing is at a bar because some old bosses had to fire someone and called me. I went on two dates with guys I had a good rapport with and was talking to many as friends. I had a second date booked with a guy when my current boyfriend first asked me out, and I declined not wanting to cancel in the case that date two went further. The second date ended up cancelled because he had something come up. When my now boyfriend next spoke to me asked me how it went, I reported that it was cancelled. He asked if I was upset...I wasn't in the least and told him so. An hour later, he made his move asking me out for lunch the next day. Because I already looked forward to his texts, I enthusiastically obliged. After that we quickly went on 3 more dates and after date 4 he asked me to be his girlfriend.

I know, it 'doesn't count' because I'm a girl...but remember, he's a guy and he found someone as well.

However, I will say, Just 8 months earlier I'd tried it and ended up dropping it because many of the guys were weird, looking for too much, shallow, inept conversationalists...had different views...the list goes on.

The point is, it CAN work of you just use it in the way that best fits you and are at a place to do that and be persistant in ALL avenues and actually open to dating and meeting new people.

I don't recommend online relationships, personally, though, but that's due to jaded experience and feeling like it's a relationship where you spend the entire time building ideals on what's said and not enough of it personally experiencing it. In the end, no matter how well intended, you don't get USED to them and teir REAL personality and end up unintentionally jaded about being more in love with your heads version than the actual person. But, I can't reasonably call anything impossible, I've just got a bad taste in my mouth towards it all.

• Honestly, I think it's a great thing. I've never tried it since school keeps me so busy but the theory behind it sounds promising:

You basically put everything about yourself on there, what you like to do, what you're looking for and what your deal breakers are.

They calculate what you said and what guys said and show you ones that you share the same outlook, beliefs and seeking the same type of relationship then show you potential matches.

It lets you bypass the sticky deal breaker conversations such as kids/no kids, marriage/no marriage, smoker/non smoker and all sorts of things.

My best friend met her boyfriend on Plenty of Fish and they've been together for 2years.

• Internet dating is a waste of your time alive. Half the time, it fails whatever the case may be even if both people are totally honest about who they are.

The show is hilarious! :D it seems a little too scripted though

• I don't think its that scripted. I do think they had to edit and re-do a few scenes but I do think most of the experiences are real.

• true story! Did you see the episode where the girl met her "man" and it was a girl getting revenge on her for cheating!? :O how embarassing! I always joke around with my boyfriend because he kinda sorta looks like Nev; really tall and really hairy with a big smile!

• Honestly if that happened to me I would probably not want them to air that episode. But I get what you are saying you really never no if its real or not.

• A waste of time if you asked me. Most on there are pretty shallow or not looking for anyting more than sex.

• Oh wait, nevermind, I thought you meant like Plenty of Fish or something. Yeah, I don't know about Catfish... but POF and match, etc. you have to be gorgeous and popular to get somewhere and even then what's the point? They'll just view you as fresh meat and nothing more?

• It never works.. don't try (sorry for being negative)

• I've heard so much about Catfish but unfortunately, it's not shown where I live. I'm so curious, will have to check later if I can find something online.

Anyway, I have to disagree with the guys who say it's easier for women. We definitely do get more attention/messages, but the quality of said messages leave a lot to be desired. Also, and no offence, the guys don't tend to be the cream of the crop.

In my experience, the majority of guys on online dating sites are creeps, serial-daters, players, commitment-phobes or generally inept at life/relationships. I've met two guys so far. One ended up being my boyfriend for a few months but he turned out to be a commitment-phobe. He was all into it for the first couple of months, then started having "doubts" and no more time. I found that more or less right after he dumped me, he returned to dating sites. That's the other thing, a lot of those guys are addicted to online dating. They aren't looking for something long-lasting or serious really, they enjoy the thrill. The thrill of messaging new girls, seeing if they reply, "conquering" someone new. The second guy I met seemed OK so I decided to meet up with him. Out of my own stupidity, I ended up having sex with him. Pretty much the next day he blew me off. Gently, but still. He masked it as something else than blowing me off, made excuses. But three weeks later he doesn't even respond to my messages anymore, but spends a ton of time on the dating site. I assume he's looking for someone new to keep his bed warm for a couple of hours.

In general, I think that the main problem with dating sites is that people actually do get addicted. Like all these other things you can do online (porn, gaming, etc.) dating also has a potential to get addictive. By that I mean that people enjoy being in touch with random people so much that they can't focus on or dedicate themselves to one person. I think that on the whole, dating sites have a negative effect on how people build and deal with relationships. Because the next date is only a click away, so to speak.

Of course there are exceptions. But I've decided for myself that the type of guy I want to end up with is not very likely to be found on a dating site.

Also, I'm aware that some of what I've written applies to girls as well. But I'm writing about my own experiences and those are exclusively with guys since I'm straight.

• I can 100% understand what your saying. Sad to say I think I had that same problem as you mentioned it can become an addiction. But I think when you meet someone online you just have to be really careful. Always read red flags about someone and I think you can find someone for you.

For me I have dated 2 guys seriously offline and some I have met and they simply just wanted sex. But I do think same thing can go for someone you don't meet online too.

• Also my boyfriend now I met online, except it wasn't a dating website. It was on here I was just helping him out. Next thing you no we got to no each other more and now we have been together for 10 months now. But I guess I was lucky. I think I am an example of online dating can work.

• A lot of what you said reminded me of the women I encountered with online dating. I never met anyone or even talked with anyone for that long. Honestly, it was a huge waste of time and the women seemed to use it as an "ego boost". I was (and am) looking for a committed relationship, so I was left pretty bitter with not finding any success whatsoever.