Would you date someone who's never had a college education?

I would date such a person if she had a nice personality and is able to take care of herself.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course. I've dated a couple of guys who never went to college or uni. Book smarts aren't that important to me, and not going to uni or college doesn't mean you aren't clever, or mature, or hardworking, or whatever, just that you chose a different route to go down, is all.

Wouldn't even think twice about it.

What Girls Said 24

• My mom has always told me to make sure I marry a "smart, hardworking man." I generally take that to mean a guy who has been to college. Although if I meet a "smart, hardworking man" who hasn't been to college, but he has a job that he enjoys and pays well enough, then I'd consider dating him.

• Sure, why not? As long as he's not stupid and writes his own name wrong. You know, if he can talk about what happens in the world and you can have fun with him, serious talks with him, ... When I meet a guy my first question isn't "did you go to college?".

• Yeah.

If someone didn't..well that would be incredibly snobbish.

• I don't exactly want to be with a guy who is a bum and sits around on his ass all day, or has no desire to move above a part time minimum wage job. I am a very ambitious person myself and I am attracted to people who share that quality. But if he is at a good place in life and just doesn't have a college education, I guess I could try it. I just don't guarantee success.

• No problem whatsoever. Some people have no interest in going to college and at the end of the dayit makes no difference to the person as a whole. Education does not equal intelligence or maturity or making you a better person or more well-rounded etc

• Hmm let me be honest here. I would date them but only according to their reason for not going. If it's because they can't afford it but would have gone if they could then that is cool, we could work on that together. But if you just sat down and decided well 'hell no I'm not going to college' and things did not work out well for them when they made that decision then no. If they did go and nothing good happened then sure why not, I would date them just for trying and if they didn't go and things worked out well, then I'm there too. However, common sense was made before book sense so if the guy is naturally smart and we could carry a good conversation regardless of his educational background then I'm there too. So for me it all depends on their personal situation or the choices that they make but I do know for a fact, education is key and what I also know is that dating an uneducated person with no common sense is like pulling teeth without painkillers so I am very careful.

• No such thing as someone who can't afford an education.

• Is that so? Then you're world must be perfect dude. If that were actually true, then some students who actually are in college would not have to be bunching themselves six at a time into apartments so they can actually afford the rent or live on a steady diet of instant noodles just so they can finish paying the student loans they took to help take them through. Someone might only be able to afford education from kindergarden to high school but a good College IS NOT FREE. I know the sacrifices..

• Personally, I don't care. As long as he has some sort of skill and can make anything of himself. That's all that matters. I don't want someone sitting on the couch all day.

I wouldn't discount someone because of other and I hope someone wouldn't me, since I do have skills...just no fancy piece of paper and student debt to tell me I do.

• I would, as long as he's being productive in some other way and doing something worthwhile.

• Of course.Because his virtues and natural wisdom would have made his educational level insignificant.

• Yes I would, just because someone hasn't gone to college doesn't mean they aren't intelligent or cannot hold a conversation. That being said, I tend to date those in college more than those who aren't, because they are the people I hang around.

• of course ^-^

• all of the people I've dated have been at uni because. I got to uni so so do most of the people I hang out with

• A lot of carreers don't require a college education to pursue. Also, I don't need a piece of paper to tell me if someone's smart or not. The short answer is they don't need to have gone to college to impress me.

• If their job paid a really good amount why not? not everyone can afford college

• Of course

• Yes. All of the guys I've dated never went to college. I didn't either.

• You got to have either money, or education. Preferably both

• If they had a lot of disposable income, sure. If they did not, no.

• Of course I would.

Just because someone didn't go to college doesn't mean they're morons or bums.

I'm neither one of those and I didn't go to college, so yeah.

• Yup, I dated a guy in the Army for a while who had no college education but was sure as hell smarter than me! I don't think that a college education says much about a person besides the fact that they went to school for long time. Just because you go to college doesn't mean you learn anything.

• One of my ex boyfriends didn't go to college but he was still able to take care of himself with the job he had. So yes

• Being hardworking, astute, and driven is more impressive than having a college education. Am I the only one who thinks college is easy?

• I'd be reluctant to. College was a major part of my life, and it will also ensure the quality of jobs I get. I feel like there would always be a lot of resentment over my high education, and ability to get better/higher paying jobs than him. Even people in my own family act jealous and resentful of the fact that I graduated from college, so I can't imagine what a future boyfriend would do.

• Hmm I guess not :/

Because such kind of people lack maturity so you'll end up with loads of misunderstandings and you'll keep on fighting over trivial matters .

What Guys Said 12

• I don't care about her education, I care about her general intellect and social skills. Of course, she is more likely to haveva certain intellectual level with a degree, but one does not guarantee the other. Never say never, maybe she had to drop out of school for her family or msybe she already has a promisibg career. You'd be surprised how many geniuses don't have acollege degree.

• Hmm...

I will have my Associate of Arts Degree soon, and I'm (dare I say it) a near brilliant person... college had nothing to do with it. I hate people who place such a great emphasis on it... what college really comes down to is how much time you're willing to sit around and read - that's it. It's not measured by how smart you are. I would rather judge a person based on their work ethic - any idiot can sit around and memorize and regurgitate newly acquired information, but it takes a real man (or strong woman) to get up and go to work everyday.

However - it is kind of a useful tool... if someone has been to college, it is a fairly good indicator of intelligence

• Yes, but then she's got to have something else going for her.

I haven't went to collage, and don't plan on it unless I want to become a doctor or something that needs to meet a very high and specific criteria. I've got my own business, and multiple sources of income, am creative and have dozens more ideas to work on. Everyone should already know that collage doesn't equal automatic success.

• Of course I would.

• No I wouldn't.

"You marry a non-graduate, then you are going to worry if your son or daughter is going to make it to the university." - Lee Kuan Yew :)

I don't believe there is such a thing as someone who cannot afford education, not in USA and not in any Western country as there simply is ample amount of aid available and today there is a glut of university space so it isn't as if there are factors that limit other than your own intelligence.

I won't date a woman who hasn't completed university and ideally I'd like her to have been to one that is of similar standard as the ones I've graduated from.

• Certainly, I stand by the principle that some people are people of books and others are of labour. I'd prefer a college education obviously because I like to talk at a higher intellectual level, and most non-college people don't discuss Kant or Nietzsche in their free time.

• Yes, because college is extremely overrated.

• Yeah bol

• Absolutely. I go to college and most college girls I know are so shallow and snobby.

• Yes

• no

• Yes but if she cannot swim more than 25 laps and recite the fortune 500 companies than hello to the nah