If a black woman doesn't want to date white guys, is it racism?

Are racist feelings the hindrance in such situations? Are there other reasons? Is it arrogance if a person feels that it is because of racism?

Thanks for the answers everyone. I wasn't talking about a specific girl. I just noticed that a few members of another group was using it and I wanted to know if I could I adopt it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a black woman who doesn't necessarily not want to date white guys, but I'm very skeptical of dating white guys more specifically white American guys. I realize that apart of it is me being overly cautious. To sum it up, American culture tends to give white men mistaken superiority complexes. This has been reflected in so many ways for example how so many of them make "race jokes" that are just plain insensitive and rude. I also think that some white guys may view black girls as an experiment like they just want to try us out but they don't take us seriously. I know that minorities can be racist towards blacks too, but I just feel like minorities are more likely to relate to me and I'm less likely to have to worry about them slipping up and using the and word or saying something inappropriate. I also get very irritated at how many white people act like racism is some imaginary thing just because they personally haven't dealt with the issues some minorities have. However, I think some white guys are very attractive. It's not that I'm unattracted to them or think they're inferior. I just try to be as open, honest, and real about how many of them are to avoid a certain type of situation.

What Girls Said 8

• You've really got to know this particular girl to know what's behind it.

The thing is, many black people take pride in rich culture, much the same as Native Americans. She really may just have different personalities she mixes better with.

I don't think it's racist, she may want someone who will truly understand her and not someone she feels wouldn't truly relate to her or who would UNDERSTAND her 'plight' and life approach,not simply appreciate and admire her traditions or merely sympathize her plight. It might even be different if you were her friend and she saw that you two blended well despite skin color.

It depends on the girl really. No cut and dry answer there.

• No, it isn't it is called having a preference.

Some people only want to date their own while others remain a bit more open-minded.

It is only considered racism if this person expresses an extreme dislike towards that race.

• Not every answer to something racial is about "having a preference". Think outside the box.

• Answer to everything? What else are you referring to? It is true everyone does like what they like for whatever the reason may be. The only time it is considered racism is when the person is discriminatory towards the other person. How hard is that is understand?

• Having a preference is a lot better than finding some of them attractive and going on about their superiority complexes, isn't it? One is based on physical preference and the other is feeding into stereotypes. I think most people would be upset about the latter.

• Only if she give "signs" that she's racist. Otherwise she only feels comfortable on dating her own race.

• No she just doesn't find them attractive

Just like how some guys might not find a certain body shape attractive

Nothing racist about it

• It's not always racism...remember there is a cultural difference. Maybe...she's just not attracted to white guys...? Everyone is different...and jumping to racism is a little intense.

• It depends on the person and where their head stands at on the situation. But, I think some are just more "relate-able" to their own race. It also depends on someones preference.

• Could mean anything, if she was racist I'm sureyou would know, its most likely something else

• No she's not being racist.

What Guys Said 6

• It's not because of racism, it's because of ugly white guys.

• Making race based dating decisions just shrinks your pool of possible dates. It's just a preference though.

• It can be. Black women who date white guys are often considered traitors to their race, and black guys hate it.

So, yeah, it very much can be. Plenty of blacks hate/dislike white people.

But really, who cares, even if it is because of a hatred of white people? If a person doesn't want to date outside their race, it's their choice, and not a big deal.

• It's called preference

• If its because their white she won't date them that's racist but if she finds white guys unnattractive and won't date them for that reason that's fine

• No just as it isn't racist for a white guy to not date a black girl, or any other race dating another. People can't help what their attracted to, racism would only be relavent if someone of one race would say something like I don't date --add what ever race here -- because they are inferior than --add another race here--