Would you date somebody who was.....

Married but he/she was legally separated and was trying to divorce, but their ex wouldn't sign the papers?

The guy I am talking about I dated the guy for 4 years when I was younger and we broke up so I could find out if he was really the one for me because I was younger than him! I know for a fact he isn't just saying this they were only together for 2mths (long story short she said she was pregnat so he married her and she lost the baby 3 weeks after they got married) and he moved out and has been trying to get a divorce for 6mths but she will not sign the paper

Most Helpful Guy

• In general, I would say "no", but in your specific case, assuming you have all the facts right, then I probably would. In most states, if you petition for divorce, your spouse can fight it for a period of time, but it will eventually be granted whether or not they agree.

Just realize that you are CHOOSING to get involved in a potentially messy, expensive, drawn-out legal conflict that may have some emotional tolls as well. It might well be that the guy is worth it, and it could be that she gives in and agrees to the divorce, but she could also fight it the whole way. Be honest with yourself about what you are getting into, should you choose to take that path.

What Guys Said 6

• A very good friend of mine is separated, though they haven't filed for divorce yet. She has 3 kids, one of which is college age, but the other two are young pre-teen ages. She seems to think her dating life is over and she'll be a single mom from her on in.

The thing is, she's a cracking girl, still looks like she did when she was 19, and is smart and funny as ever.

I'd date her in a cold second. She is a prize catch, whether she realizes it or not.

• No, I wouldn't. There's enough girls out there who have never been married. I don't want to introduce kids, or baby daddy/mommy drama into the picture. Dating is hard as it is, no need to add more things into the mix when trying to meet a new girl.

• Given my beliefs about marriage and divorce, no. Even so, let's leave those aside and my answer would still be no. Too much drama.

• Apart from the fact that I wouldn't be too keen on dating a divorcĂ©, yes I would.

They're separated, the divorce is just a formality.

• I would think the one who's not wanting to sign the papers, still has some residing feelings. This question reminds me of the movie "Twister"

• No. Can't take her word for it. There are many cases of people saying that and it turns out that their spouse doesn't even know anything is wrong. I'd wait until after if I decided to date her at all.

• @update: Okay, but I'm just saying that there are other instances where this has occurred and the person that is in your position is always quick to defend the other person and make excuses for them. I'm not saying that's what's happening here necessarily, but can't take just your side of the story as the whole truth.

Nevertheless, I still wouldn't get involved. It's not like he can't take her to court and have the judge decide. I believe that's the protocol.

• lol

What Girls Said 3

• Idk... honestly I would want to wait until the divorce was official. unless it was dragging on for years

• No that sounds a little messy/shady.

• No I wouldn't