It bothers me that my bf's gamer tag and username for work is x's nickname and his put together.

I've been together for two and 1/2 yrs. He hasn't been with her since 2009. I am not a jealous person. I just don't understand if she was the past and I am the present, why does he still have to have that gamertag/ username? That name represents them together. I sent him a text message saying "why don't you change your name to booboooco;)' (that's my nickname and his nickname together) and he resonded "That was my old gamer tag. "How would you feel if you were in my shoes? Am I over re-acting?

Most Helpful Guy

• Okay, he was a dumbass for deciding to use a gamer tag with his GF's name in it (any GF!). To do so almost guarantees that he'll be put into this stupid situation sooner or later.

But, like others have said, her actual name probably means nothing to him at this point, but his gamer tag is is gaming IDENTITY, even though 99.99% of the people he games with have NO IDEA what it actually means. They DO know it means HIM, though. It's become his "brand", and all of his playing stats and history and so on is attached to it, for better or worse. To change that means to instantly lose his identity and any fear/respect that other gamers show him. As dumb as that may sound, that's a big deal to a gamer. If you're good, or just if you game a lot, you earn a reputation and just acknowledgment of your existence from a big chunk of other people. It's hard to let that go.

This is why you don't use your GF's name in your gamer tag, just like you don't get her name tattooed on you. It rarely works out in the long run, because gamer tags and tattoos usually last longer than the relationships...

What Guys Said 12

• I understand 100% how you feel. But you need to understand it from his perspective.

A gamer tag becomes an identity not necessarily due to the meaning of the name itself but what it represents in the gamer world. He's established gaming contacts this way and to change it would mean changing a lot of things in that gaming world (e.g. re-establishing those contacts, perhaps starting a profile all over which may lose records and achievements he's had)

I think it is fair to ask him to change the tag but it should be a conversation not text. You need to be prepared to listen to why he doesn't want to change it and you should express why you would like him to consider it. Ask him specifically does the tag have any significance aside from being an online tag. Talking to him you can at least express how you feel and perhaps you can understand his position

• Yeah it's just a gamertag. that sh*t is really annoying to change, and it costs money, and most of his gamer friends probably call him by his gamertag, and if he changed his gamertag it would f*** them all up..

I understand your concern, but it REALLY IS a pain in the ass. I wouldn't expect most women to understand that (unless of course they play xbox, but if you did, you wouldn't be here asking this question).

So, I'd honestly just let it go and move on. =)

Good luck!

- soaren

• for a gamer, his nickname is like a brand. nickname represents certain status etc. changing it would be a mess.

it's like they would change the name Adidas into something else, since the founder (adi dassler) is dead. you can't do that. the name/brand (or nickname in this case) holds tremendous value and changing the name would be first class marketing fail.

• He might not care too much about it, it might even be meaningless to him - about this name of his... But if he cares about you, he should take into consideration that it does bother you. He should change it, if for anything to win brownie points... I enjoy making my Girlfriend happy with the little things, & I think those are the more important ones because even though small, there are more of them than the big ones!

• See kids, this is why you don't do things like get tattoo's with S.O.'s names on you.

Hell, the only reason why people do things like that in the first place is because they're insecure and feel like they NEED to do something like that for their relationship

• Changing it to both of your names, I would hope he has learned from his mistakes.

It's a major thing to change a gamertag, just get over it. It's like knowing you have a piece of mud underneath your car you will NEVER EVER SEE, then going back and forth to the local mechanic shop and dishing out money for no reason.

• A gamer tag isn't just something you change whenever you feel like it.

It represents you for good and for bad.

When playing games online, especially those I'm very good at I always want people to see my nickname. See it and remember I was the one who destroyed their best army or killed him 3 times in a row.

Plus, if he plays with friends like me, then he can't just simply change his nickname. I have a nickname for about 5 years or something, my friends created a short term of it and they even call me by it when in person. It's not something I can just change like that. If possible it will stay the same as long as I am a gamer.

Plus I totally agree with MrOracle. You simply don't use your gf's name in your nickname. The tattoos example is the best you can get. It's something for life or at least for years and years.

• Na there's a TON of hassle to change a name. Costs like 10-20 bucks and is an annoying process.

Also as one guy said, gamers tend to use the same names for everything gaming wise. To change it would be like changing an identity.

• sometimes things from the past help us in the future.. let it go XD

• It's not that serious

• Not really, it's just a normal thing.

However, maybe he started loving the name.

• "I am not a jealous person"

...says the girl who's writing this question

What Girls Said 2

• You're not jealous? Sounds like it. He's a gamer and since he's had it for a long time (BEFORE YOU) all the guys he plays with know him by it. Why should he change it and screw up the guys he plays with just because you're insecure about something so petty.

• First of all let me ask you, what game does he play?

• Why the dislike? There are some games where you're unable to edit your username. And depending on the game you may be unable to start over.

ALSO, if he's playing games like WoW, DOTA, or stuff like that, in which an imba/pro is recognised by his name, he may not want to change it due to that. Changing names will most likely result in loss of reputation .

If you want a more accurate answer you should tell us the game/s he is playing.

• Have an upvote for making sense.

• Thanks