What do you think of internet dating sites?

What do you think of online dating sites? Would you/have you used an online dating site? Have you had any success?

• They're stupid!
  • I love them!
  • I have never tried, but I'm considering it!
  • Only if I was desperate...

Most Helpful Guy

• I've used a few. Back in the day I used to use PlentyOfFish, before it renamed to POF, and I had quite a bit of success. I had a few hookups, made a couple of friends, and a few girlfriends. A couple of the relationships made on there last a few months, which isn't bad. I am currently on OKcupid, but I'm only STRICTLY using it to meet new friends. Mainly because I have a girlfriend.

I think on these websites if you're a guy, you are pretty much going to send out quite a few messages at first, and type up an interesting profile, and eventually people respond. If you're extra handsome, you'll get more responses, with or without an interesting profile, but the majority of girls will just be looking for sex.

I think it's almost the same for girls, except there's a lot of idiot guys who think they're impressing a girl with just an initial message consisting of "hey." and nothing else. That plus most girls will just get bombarded with sex offers without subtlety, regardless of how pretty she is, though the prettier she is the more sex offers she'll get. Still, I've heard from some girls on this site, who have found some genuinely nice or interesting guys. So, I guess it's alright.

All in all though, I think that dating online is a lot like dating in the real world. It just means people get to either reject you faster, or actually read what you're about without judging you on your looks. But just like the real world of dating, you're going to have your ups and downs, you're going to have users and players and people who want nothing more than sex. You're going to run the risk of meeting bad people... That's just life.

People like to take the "horror stories" out of context, or play it up like you'd have to be a complete loser to go there, but it's just people. Look, ultimately I think internet dating is just streamlined a bit. But the internet is soylent green folks. It's people. Just people. Bash it all you like, it's just people. Not everyone on there is a loser, desperate, a scammer, or a rapist lurking in some dark shadow. I wish people would start figuring that out.

(Note: I voted B, but you didn't have something in between A and B. It would have been nice if you included a "It's ok." option. Not everything is either awesome or terrible.)

What Guys Said 11

• I've tried them, and the majority of people I met ended up having some real problems that would impede on a relationship. I work a lot, especially during the "social" hours of the day/night, so meeting people was tough, but I wouldn't exactly recommend the internet to someone... It's not really THAT different from looking elsewhere anyway, I mean, 99% of people look for someone they're attracted to before ever saying "Hello", then conversation is had... It's just another avenue, I guess, but the internet does lend itself to certain people, so when it comes to internet dating... Yeah...

• Saying they're stupid is a bit harsh. And I'm sure they've helped a lot of people. They're not my thing though. I'd rather have something come up naturally than try to force something by going on a dating site. I believe relationships turn out best when you're not actually actively seeking one out, and you only get into one because you need that one person in your life, not because you need a person in your life.

• Good answer! :)

• Online dating would help me a lot. I have things to say, and would easily be able to start a conversation with a girl on a dating site by commenting on her profile or something, but in real life I have no idea how to actually start a conversation with a random girl. And it's more nerve-wracking in real life because the girl can see your reaction to being rejected or something, and it's just generally more "scary" of an experience. But that's the point. That's life, and I love life haha.

• So it's nice to be able to experience things like that. And in the end, if I can learn to talk to random girls well, I'll have grown a lot as a person, and I'll have something to be proud of because of that. Meanwhile, online dating just makes it too easy by taking out the difficulty in making that first move.

• Internet dating sites: Great for girls, crap for guys

• It's weird cause who knows how much these people are not telling they could just as well end up being a real freak and everything they have told you to be a load of crap.

• So just like the real world. LOL

• Yeah I suppose but when you have someone talking face to face you can learn an uexpected amount through the way they say things. If they are smiling and going into detail about a topic then you can tell they like what they are talking about.

• One of the girls I met lied about the town she lived in on her profile. I didn't ask her about it, but she ended up living in the town right next to it. I'm just thinking why are you lying about that? Unless she's trying to avoid someone. Either way, it just seems like a weird thing to lie about.

• A big waste of time !

• I'll be damned if I ever let an algorithm of zeros and ones assist in selecting my soulmate, nor just pictures or online profiles. It takes the fun out of it and love should be free- I shouldn't have to pay a membership fee to find it. That is all.

• Waste of time, for the desperate.

• Like meeting people in real life they are a good and bad. I therefore choose something between A and B.

• Only if I were 30 years old and desperate...

• Girl if you want the d just tell me

• You caught me...I want the D

• They pretty much suck for men. Unless he is very attractive, he probably won't get many messages or reply's back. link Not to mention your height is on there, most girls when using the search function won't put anything less than 6'0 minimum so if you are below that then you won't come up on their results.

• This made me laugh pretty hard

• Wouldn't that be the same case for girls too? No man is going to stop to message a fat girl with zits on her face and the leader of the itty bitty titty committee. It works both ways in the appearance aspect, I think online dating gives people a chance to connect with a person's personality before they connect with their physical characteristics.

• That's one of the things in the experiment they did (in link I posted).

What Girls Said 22

• When I joined Plenty of Fish...I wasn't desperate, I had the attention of guys, just none of them were to my liking. I saw internet dating just how the guy that gave BA did...an outlet to meet new people, expand my circle, the guys that I'd prior met weren't right for me and usually met while I was completely not open to dating. I certainly had no high expectations of meeting someone wonderful for me, I was just...generally open to it if it came along. After meeting a few guys, I met the guy who is now my boyfriend. He had joined also as an outlet. He works 4 days, and is off 4 days, (on a boat) which even now, just with me added, his off time is spent with his large, close circle of friends, he rarely had outlets for new people.

One you realize that there are some normal people online, just like in any other place you'd meet new people, you're more open to treating it as such.

Boyfriend and I are very happy. We work well together. I'm lucky to have met him and glad I gave internet dating (another) chance. (I was far less open before, to dating or committing before.)

• Honestly, I think they are sort of skeezy. Or at lease most are. I actually have used one (zoosk, don't EVER use it, you can't delete your profile because once you sign up, they own everything on it! They use it to market the site) anyway- I got a LOT of creepy-ass guys. I ended up going on a couple of dates, and dated one guy for a couple of months. It turned out to only last 2 or 3 months, he was a total creeper, and had a lot of issues that he was able to hide for a while.

Honestly, I think there is a reason that a lot of the people on those sites are single. lol.

• no no no . I go on because I'm too ugly for anyone . maybe someone online would give me a chance. unfortuantly no one replies to my messages and no one sends me messages

• People are rather closed sometimes to the thought of dating online as a starting point for a relationship...I personally think there's nothing wrong with it, but the site you use will probably determine your experience with it.

Using free sites or really cheap ones will be more likely to get you nothing but fake people or those who only want sex, while paid sites like eHarmony are more likely to give you honest people looking for a good relationship.

As long as you are safe about it and know what you're looking for, online dating isn't so bad. You can get an idea of someone before you even talk to them (assuming they are honest...but people lie In real life too ahah..)

• Honestly my luck was terrible and there weren't a lot of options so I deleted my profile on Okcupid. I also signed up for Plenty of Fish but when this 47 year old randomly messaged me.. it creeped me out and I quickly got off that one to lol. xD

I honestly think that you can get extremely lucky or like most people no luck at all. I think people including myself are MORE judgmental on online dating sites because you can just reject people easily and you don't really get to know them for who they are and you just judge people by their pictures which is wrong I admit.

I think real life dating is better especially if you're college aged because you can meet people in college or at the gym and meet them NATURALLY. But I think online dating is great for reccently divorced people who're older because lets face it when you get older its harder to meet people. you just have to be careful on sites like these and find a good christian man or at least a man or woman with strong moral values and character.

• i'd never do it, but I know people who have had successful marriages with people from dating online

• A. They're stupid

I think there's something wrong with people who can't find someone through everyday life...

link

• I gotta disagree. Sometimes life can get busy. Maybe messy. Sometimes it's not your own fault.

However, yikes, look at those crazy guys!

• but I'm ugly so girls hate me in real life

• I disagree. Sometimes people have a hard time meeting people because of lack of opportunities. In fact, I didn't have much luck with women until I started using online dating sites and went away to a university. When I was at community college and living at home, school was very anti social and the only girls at my friend's parties were their gfs. There is no one answer for why people can't find someone.

• The show catfish. enough said.

• That's why you add them on Facebook or talk to them on the phone before agreeing to meet with. I've been catfished once and yeah I learned my lesson. If the person does not have a Facebook or phone, they are probably fake.

• Pfft, Facebook is worse than a phone. ther eis virtually no way to know that the person is who they say they are unless you meet them in person. want an example? ask me for one, I have many.

• I don't think it's desperate. I'm rather picky with people and have a personal guideline for guys.

I don't mingle with guys who are my friends nor do I mingle with the intermediate friends of my friends. I want everything for the both of me and my other to be a clean slate.

My boyfriend and I met on the site and we're pretty happy together. He's not a super creeper and I'm not a child spy for the police. =] Normal people.

• met my boyfriend of a year and 7 months on okcupid. It's the best thing that's ever happened to me even though we live an hour from each other, so sometimes we have problems, but the problems would still be there if he lived next door... Online dating websites aren't just for desperate people. Sometimes if you're shy and don't like walking up to people it can be really helpful! Personally I'm shy and would never have the nerve to walk up to someone and would be REALLY nervous if a guy walked up to me, so it works better. You don't have to be desperate! lol like me personally I know I'm not a bad looking girl, maybe a 7 so I know I could get a guy in person but with school, work, and stress it's just easier to look online and see what your options are! Dating can be awkward... I think it helps make it a little less awkward! :)

• I am 19 and in college, so I should fare well in the real world for a while. But in the even that I'm still single when I turn 30, I'm going to start online dating.

• Scary.

Too many weird cases on the news and discovery channel.

• Only if I was desperate! Too much going on on those sites.

-love Sosa

• worked for me. no complaints yet! :)

• I wouldn't mind giving one a try to be honest.

• There so dumb! Just get of that friggin computer chair and go meet someone!

• I was dumped after a 2 year relationship and was consumed by self loathing for 4 months. My friends were concerned and posted pictures of me on dating websites to help me get out there without having me be so desperate. They gave my number to men they approved of and I found the sweetest guy in the world. It was embarrassing to ues it and I felt desperate, but it was all worth it. I came from a poor town and all the guys were ghetto and rude and that's what I was used to, but using a dating website helped me venture out into the world and meet a nice man who honestly cares about me. I would definitely advise using it. In fact, the man I met on there have been dating for 4 years now and are engaged to be married soon!

• OMG! Tried it...The men: They are old, bald, horny, fat men who do not have jobs. Oh! They do not have most of their teeth either. The old guys want to date woman 20-30 years younger than they are, and think they can...? Some guys just want to email you to death, others...just flat out ask you to meet up for sex. Guess the shy types have more guts when they can't look you in the eye? A friend's mom met a nice man & they got married last year...Both of them have all their hair & teeth! No jobs though.

• Oh, most of the men without photos, probably women too, are married. I my attorney on there.

• Not my cup of tea but I've heard of success stories. I honestly don't think most people who do online dating are looking for long term committed relationships. I think many are serial daters.

• I'm nervous about them. I'm not very trusting.

• waste of time... the girls are flakes and the guys are creeps...

• because average/ugly guys are automatically creeps ?

• She's most likely referring to the guys who constantly message her for sex. I could be wrong though.

• I don't think I'd ever use a dating site. I mean I'm sure they're okay for some people, but I'd much rather meet someone in person. Other factors go in to play besides whether or not you are compatible. It's about how the person makes you feel. How are you supposed to find that online?

• Good point! I think most people use it for an initial meeting versus an actual relationship, although I could be wrong.

• when ure ugly , that's your only option . but still no one replies to my profile

• @adamfk1 - I don't think that's true. I have dated 2 people in real life who I didn't find to be very physically attractive at all (I'd rate them a 2 and a 3). When I look for a potential partner I personally try to focus more on personality than anything else and how we connect. Yes, looks do play a role in it, but I don't think that they are as big of a factor as everyone thinks.

• I met plenty of jerks on them so no different then real life except you meet more in a shorter time frame. You meet more bad guys and good guys in such a short time. Not necessarily meeting them in person but they hit on me. I also met my current boyfriend of a year and half. He is awesome. If I didn't go online I might still be trying to meet a decent guy to date. It really is no different than the real world except the guys are much more honest about there intentions even when they are just for sex. Honesty is a bonus in my books because then I don't get me heart broken by someone who led me on and you meet so many more people in such a short time. Again when I say meet, I mean they either start a convo online or send me messages.