Long distance dating?!?

Has Anyone ever tried long distance dating where you get to see the other person like once a month and actually had things work out ?

And does anyone think that Skype will help things or not?

Most Helpful Girl

• I met my boyfriend 3 years ago. He lived in Germany and I lived in Canada. We had to go months without seeing each other, the longest time was 5.5 months apart. Now I live in Germany with him and we are as happy as pigs in mud!

What Girls Said 16

• I have no idea why I'm sharing this because it's not going to happen to you, but one time I was in a long distance relationship. Really LONG distance. The second time I saw him after we became "official", he said and did horrible things to me, always talked about his exes, and was really clingy at the same time. Then when I wanted to break up with him, he was threatening to kill me and then himself. He also proposed to me with his dead mother's wedding ring. Ever since then, I've been totally turned off from distance even though it has nothing to do with that sh*tshow of a relationship. My current boyfriend lives a few blocks away. It's just nice to have someone to cuddle with, to have someone to go watch a movie with, to bring to family and friend functions and gatherings... Someone's hand to hold. Someone to hug. Someone to fool around with. A voice or a face through a screen doesn't cut it for me, and I don't think it ever will again.

• yes its very sweet for a while but difficult for everyone involved. and difficult for long term. if you can keep this going for under a year and move to the same city it would be better. But I know some people married living in two different countries and commuting every weekend to see each other, it can work. but for me I prob want to keep it local :o

• Once a month sounds like an absolute dream to me! My boyfriend of fourteen months and I have been doing long distance for eight months and we've only spent 11 days together during that time. We've gotten much better at it over time - it's all about trust and communication. That being said, we've never Skyped at all, so I don't think that's particularly important. It's been just texts, letters and phone calls.

Difference is though, I was in love with him before he enlisted. I have less faith in the success of relationships that were born online. I'm of the opinion that you can probably only do long distance if you really, really care about the person and really want to do it, and I just don't know if I could be as committed to someone I didn't completely know.

• my boyfriend and I live 100 miles apart. We're doing fine. I saw him once in nov, twice on dec and once in jan so far. As long as your communication is strong it's good.

• I was in a long distance relationship for 4 years - uk/usa. It was an awesome time, and we had to rely on letters most of the time, and a phone call once per week. We would have died for all this tech now available. Long distance is really difficult, no 2 ways about it.

• It's just not my thing. If I physically touch the person (not in a sexual way) often it just feels weird. Plus I don't trust long distant relationships. How would you know if he was cheating on you?

• Yes. Over the summer I did but then the next summer thigs were rocky before I left and we broke up. So depends on the strength of the relationship. Good luck!

• Thanks and I am going to need it too

• If you love her and she loves you don't worry! I am not going to see my boyfriend for 2 1/2 years! But I believe we will make it. That's like no contact except letters. We really love each other though so I believe it can work! Don't give up!

• skype is just another form of communication says social network. It's still lack of physical interaction :(

• I was cheated on. And online at that! Nearly cheated on by my lover's friend, but at least they told me about that one. "The fact that I didn't go through with it is proof that I love you!" BULL****. *crushes apple*

It depends on the people, but never forget that you'll have no clue what they're doing when you're not there.

• Done it twice but didn't work out in the end. :(

• From my experience, it never works out.

• my boyfriend and I live 3500 miles apart .. distance made our relationship better than before, believe it or not!

• it really does ! ( answer to your update )

• It depends how solid you guys were before the long distance

• It didn't work out for me, but that's for a different reason. We were together two years and did fine with distance.

• Skype definitely helped for us. It's so comforting to see his face or hear his voice, even if he can't be in bed with me at the time.

• It could work depending on the two people. If both are willing & really work at it than ya I believe long distance can work. The only thing is you BOTH have to be commited in it. I did long distance with a guy I really liked. It can work if you both really love each other & want to be with each other.

• No.I couldn't do that.

What Guys Said 6

• My girlfriend is about 80 miles from me. We try to see each other as often as possible. Sometimes it's a couple times a month. We started as friends when she was in a closer place than she is now, but we didn't see each other all that often then. We texted a lot, though. We actually started somewhat dating when she moved. She basically begged me to go see her, and we hung out, and started hanging out as often as we could given the distance. I know I miss her a lot when I don't see her, but if we have to deal with the distance for now to stay in a relationship, it's still worth it to be with her.

• Skype is no better or worse than the phone, facetime, or text. It's just another way to keep in touch. It doesn't solve any problems that come with long distance.

• Expectations and trust

• I did but it didn't end well.

• try it and it will test u.

• I did it a couple times and both time the relationship went down in flames