Could you date someonw with a mental disorder?

For example: ADHD, PST, Manic Depression, Depression, Social Anxiety, Aspergers

And many others.

Could you do it? why or why not?

Do YOU have a mental disorder yourself?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes to all of them as long as they are under some sort of treatment and take their meds. I know how tough it is to be judged on having a mental disorder and it sucks that people forget that meds take away a lot of the symptoms. Well at least for me it did. People say I act more normal than most other people who don't have a disorder.

FYI I have Bipolar I Disorder and with meds I'm absolutely fine. Yes I get sad sometimes, I'm not a superhuman and all humans get sad but I don't fall in major depression for months. It's really sad how people judge others with mental disorders especially with Bipolar. I blame media and people who diagnosed themselves with it as the troublemakers because so many claim to have Bipolar but their behavior and what they describe is nothing even close to Bipolar. For example people for some reason think they're bipolar if they like something one minute and then hate it the next or if they get mood swings during the day they'll say they're bipolar. It's not bipolar. It's being a human being. Stigmas like that are why people with bipolar have a bad rep, it's because people diagnose themselves with mental disorders and don't follow the right procedure before officially saying the have this or that disorder.

Sorry I just felt like this should be said :)

What Girls Said 11

• Seeing as I have bipolar disorder, General anixety disorder, OCD, and many others. Yes, I would definitely do it. So long as their mental disorder is not getting in the way of them living a somewhat decent life. My ex boyfriend had ADHD and depression and I did what I could, but obviously it didn't work out. He didn't take medication for his illness. As opposed to me, where I take 4 different pills in the morning, 3 pills in the afternoon, and 3 pills at night (including a sleeping pill since I can't sleep).

• I think I know where you got the idea for this question...

Some of those are easier then others...

and some, would make meeting, and getting to know each other well enough to date problematic...

But I also know, guys are much more willing to date depressed/crazy girls then the other way around.. (personal xp) it's the white knight syndrome...

But I think girls are more likely to dig on the harder ones if they get far enough into it...

• I've never been diagnosed.. but I wouldn't be surprised.

• There is a big part of me that wants to say yes I would but another part says I'm not sure I could handle it. If properly treated it can be controlled and I could probably deal with it. However my best friend suffers from depression and I love her to pieces but as a partner I don't know of I could handle the extreme highs and lows. Maybe I just need to learn and understand the disorder better and learn how to cope with any mental illness and learn how to be supportive. I'm sorry my answer is all over the place but I don't really know how else to explain what I'm trying to say.

• I'm ADHD...like severely ADHD but I graduated high school two years early and am set to graduate college next year. Also, I have always wanted to go into the army, since I was seven actually and I know a few people with PTSD from the army but they've gotten help and managed it. Basically, I really don't mind the mental disorder as long as they can take care of it well without me having to be there 24/7. Meaning I would date someone with ADHD, PTSD, depression, or social anxiety (to an extent). OCD depending on how bad. A friend of mine's brother's OCD is so bad he's afraid of putting on socks in the morning. I couldn't date someone like that purely because I do want to be in the army and I couldn't be around to help them.

• yes I could and I have! just as long as they are tryin to keep things under control and can also see when its getting out of control and ready to see the doc if needed. no problem!

• Yes, except Aspergers. that would be too much for me to handle. Are those really mental disorders though? I mean, I have social anxiety and ADD and I don't consider them to be a mental disorder.

• yes, I could. it doesn't make them any less date-able just because they have a mental disorder.

i have social anxiety, and separation anxiety.

• PST, Manic Depression, Depression, Social Anxiety, Aspergers I wouldn't date them. I can't handle any of those disorders

ADHD I would

• No, majority of those disorders I personally am not strong enough to deal with.

• can't you get stronger?

• I still have terrifying nightmares from when my grandmother was going through chemo , so I don't think that is too likely

• @update. No, but my school guidance counselor thinks I'm depressed and possibly suicidal. I could see why he would think that lol but I'm not. :p

• Yes becuase I have one myself. I'm ashamed of it but there's niothing I can do about it.

• Why ashamed?

• May I ask what it is?

I have social anxiety and ADHD

• Oh those are nothing. I have both of those on top of depression. Its hard dealing with both the anexity and the depression. I have a very hard time making friends and keeping them. I also am always stepped all over and taken advantage of because I'm afraid ill upset someone if I don't do things the way people want.

• Obviously it depends on which one, the severity, how well "managed" it is, etc.. Most disorders are stigmatized so much that you'd never guess the people all around you and maybe even some close friends have them.

I have a friend who is schizophrenic.

My mom has social anxiety and depression.

My current boyfriend has Aspergers.

It's just not something you can easily decide, because it's not like everyone who has a particular disorder is the same.

• @update: Not that I know of.

What Guys Said 8

• No, in the past I would have said yes, because part of me felt manly, like this knight in shinning armor, by coming to this girls rescue and helping her.

The problem is I've learned all it does is lead to f***ed up relationships and drama, for lack of a better term.

Some aren't really that bad. Like ADD I could deal with, but sever depression for example I could not. I've just personally felt the effects far to often of being involved with a girl who has similar disorders and its not fun. It can literally tear a relationship apart.

I don't really have any major mental disorders other than ADD, and even then I don't exhibit it in the same way most people do, hence the reason I wasn't diagnosed until I was 19. Most ADD people have social problems which I don't have. I simply just have a hard time focusing on mundain tasks, like school work, as well as having a mind that can wonder at times. But hey, being a musician it's helped me a lot. So many ideas will pop into your head faster than you can get them out on paper.

• Thats not really something you can answer until you try it. I suppose that deoending on the severity as well as the disorders progression I either could or couldnt.There's a fine line there between a relationship as a boyfriend/girlfriend and a relationship as a carer.

• I think every girl I ever dated had a mental disorder, though that is debatable. I'm sure most guys feel like this at times. =P

• all human being are messed up in the head at some level. so chances are you have already. if someone was absolutely straight and upfront about it before then no problem otherwise I would be like wtf chances are though that if it is a woman and it would be a women I would be dating then then would not be upfront about it and I would simply put her down as being unstable and to be avoided

• I guess I could date someone with social anxiety as I used to have that myself due to insecurity...

• I've dated someone bipolar with ADHD, quite interesting haha.

• I could date a nymphomaniac. does that count?

• i think soc anx would be OK & depression (maybe) but no to most others...

• the answers on here don't prove people to be liars at all