Could you date someone with social anxiety?

I've got social anxiety and take meds for it. I just get a bit anxious in social situations and especially when I'm just one on one with another person.

Can you handle that?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. I talk enough for two people anyway. As long as its something I'm made aware of, what situations you can't handle, what you're OK with, give me a sign for when we're in social situations so that I'll know you want out of there. If I can help you in anyway, even as a friend I will. Most people are decent, good people that would try to make you more comfortable but hiding yourself away isn't going to help you.

What Girls Said 3

• Yes I would be able to :)

• of course! I used to be the EXACT same way and as I got older it got better, Now I can honestly say that I just don't give a sh*t! lol I LOVE IT!

• sure

What Guys Said 3

• unfortuneately it screws guys more than girls

• I had horrible social anxiety in high school and college, and a few years afterward. It was very, very difficult. Honestly, I don't know how I got up and went to school every day.

I don't know how exactly it changed, but I did force myself out into the world and somehow developed enough confidence to get better. It hasn't been an issue for a long time. I even speak in public now without too much anxiety.

• I just reread the first responder's answer below and I want to echo his comments about putting yourself in uncomfortable situations. It's painful, but I think it's the best course for overcoming the anxiety. Push yourself outside your comfort zone and eventually the things that seem so scary start to become more manageable, and eventually even comfortable.

Also, to the extent you can, surround yourself with people you admire. One day you'll discover you've become one of them.

• I used to suffer from social anxiety and sometimes had panic attacks. I was medicated for close to 5 years but I stopped. It's been about that long now, 5 years, since I've taken anything for my anxiety. I've had only two panic attacks in that time and right now I'm pretty good. I'm less anxious now then when I was taking meds.

Ever play with the idea that you don't have a medical problem? I got over the jist of my issues with some counseling and exposure. I repeatedly put myself in situations I felt uncomfortable with and through familiarity, I got more and more comfortable in social situations. I'm not 100% I'll grant you but I'm normal enough to have had a couple relationships since stopping the meds.