How to make time for each other as a long distance couple?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 5 months. We only live about 2 hours away from each other, but I live in the city so sometimes it's expensive to take the train to visit him while also being so expensive to live in the city.

My boyfriend plays professional lacrosse and has practice every weekend and has events also when it the season begins which is coming up soon. The season is basically from January-October. The past 3 months or so have been bliss, because he hasn't had any commitments and we have been able to take trips and he has been able to come down and see me as often as I go to see him. When we started dating there were many weekends where I would go to visit him, and sit in his room for hours waiting for him to get out of practice on the weekends. But since we had just started dating, we were in that blissful stage where it didn't bother me that much.

Now, it is starting to bother me. With him having practice every weekend, I feel like he is already starting to assume that I'm gonna be going up to visit him again on the weekends since he can't come down to me. But I don't want that again. I don't want to sit around and wait for him, when there are other things I could be doing but I also do want to see him.

So, what is a good compromise so that we will both be happy?

p.s. one of my boyfriends teammates also lives in the city and we met up last weekend when he was supposed to go back upstate to go to practice, and he lied to the team saying that he had an event and couldn't come up to practice for the weekend but I knew he stayed in the city because his girlfriend was home and he doesn't get to see her that often and he had other friends visiting. So it's clearly a struggle for other couples on the team as well.

• Visit him since he has practice
  • Make him find time to visit around his practice schedule, even if it may not be convenient for him
  • Don't visit him until he sets a time to visit you

What Guys Said 2

• Visit him and watch his practices. That will mean a lot.

Also, if you can't make time with each other during the day, spending time talking to each other via Skpe will keep the relationship alive. By spending time with each other, the relationship's flame keeps on burning, and the interest/attraction will never have the chance to wane.

• Visit him and have him visit you when he can around his schedule. Seems fair to me.

What Girls Said 0