If a guy pays for dinner, does that make it a date?

So my male friend and I went to dinner a few nights ago just to catch up. Things were going well and then when the check came the waiter asked if we wanted separate or together. I said separate but suddenly he just said together. So when the check came he wiped out his card and said he had it. Of course I protested but he insisted and wouldn't let me pay for my own. We ended the night with him walking me to my car and just joking around. I thanked him for paying and that was it. Now I didn't think much of it until my friend pointed out that she thought it was a date because he paid. In the past he admitted to having a crush on me (like last year) and my friend didn't make a move or anything eventually I figured he didn't care anymore. We've flirted a bit but never advanced past flirting. Now I'm kind of confused cause it's not like I haven't discouraged him in terms of wanting a possible relationship. What do I do? Was that a date?

Most Helpful Guy

• It wasn't. A date is a get together with a romantic intention. In other words, both people are fully aware of each others' intention. The purpose of the date is not to "hang out" or "catch up". The purpose is to get to know each other and see the feasibility of a future relationship. What I cannot understand is why your male friend didn't make a move that night.

What Guys Said 2

• If a guy pays for you, it doesn't necessarily make it a date. However, if he's admitted to having a crush on you before and nothing has changed since then, yeah, it was a date.

• He wanted it to be a date.

He's a little shy, if you haven't noticed.

What Girls Said 4

• It's not a date, but he's trying to impress you and show he likes you imho.

• You have to come to terms if you like this friend more you need to make that clear. He has made it clear to you that he likes you a lot more. If you don't want a relationship further be clear and stern other wise this will become a cat and mouse game for a long time maybe even end a good friendship. The best relationships come from friends.

• I hope not. I've had guy friends spot me before but we were al hanging out. I mean I'd do the same if I was needed

• No, not necessarily so. It could mean he's your friend who treated you this time. Next time, you pick up the tab. Don't you & your female friends do this? It doesn't make it a date then anymore then it made that a date.